I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod building glue with gap- filling
Posted by: Marco Cellini (---.ip102.fastwebnet.it)
Date: September 28, 2011 04:03PM

I need to use a good glue with excelent gap filling in my last job ( old spinning rod restoration ). Could you suggest me one?

Thanks in advance
Marco

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod building glue with gap- filling
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 28, 2011 04:15PM

PC-7 is designed as a gap filling epoxy, but it's somewhat heavy.

How much space do you need to fill in? You might be better off with a shim or arbor to fill any such space.

Posted by: JIM MOWL (---.stat.centurytel.net)
Date: September 28, 2011 04:20PM

I like Pro Bond, it is a paste type epoxy and pretty much stays where you put it.

Posted by: Marco Cellini (---.ip102.fastwebnet.it)
Date: September 28, 2011 04:21PM

Thanks Tom, I'm using an arbor but I want to be sure to use a good glue with special gap filling.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 28, 2011 04:26PM

If the arbor or shim is close fitting, as it should be, you don't need nor want a gap filling epoxy.

Posted by: Marco Cellini (---.ip18.fastwebnet.it)
Date: September 29, 2011 08:19AM

Yes Tom, I know that. In this specific project for a particular style of the grip, the arbor doesn't close fitting very well for that reason I ask help !

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 29, 2011 08:42AM

Marco,
Since you do need a glue that has gap filling capability, use standard epoxy and then add micro spheres to the glue to give it a gap filling property.
Micro spheres have next to 0 weight, mix well with the epoxy finish and still give a very good bond and strength for your build.

MICROSPHERES are microscopic, hollow, gas-filled spheres in a fine powder form of low density and weight. They extend the resin and increase the viscosity, forming what is called a "syntactic foam" in higher volumes, ideal for fairing/filler compounds, putties, for making low-density fillets, and for use as a laminating adhesive where gap filling qualities are desirable. The main advantage of Microspheres is that it makes the cured resin mixture easier to sand; the more Microspheres added, the easier sanding becomes. However, if too much Microspheres is added, the mix becomes unworkable. For laminating work, the activated resin/Microspheres mixture is usually still quite fluid. Order on the basis of 1 lb. per gallon of resin for a creamy consistency, or 2 lbs. per gallon for a more paste-like consistency.

[www.fiberglasssupply.com]
The first product on the link:
"hollow glass microspheres" is the product of which I speak, and works very very well for making any epoxy a wonderful filler if needed for special needs.
As the note above indicates, don't add too many microspheres or you will have glue that is unworkable.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Marco Cellini (---.ip18.fastwebnet.it)
Date: September 29, 2011 09:10AM

Thanks a lot Roger for your suggestion !

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 29, 2011 09:49AM

You can also wrap the shim with A or D thread to make it fit better Then just use Rod Bond I also sand the inside of the seat for a better bond

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster