I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pro Wrap, black blank, color preserver streaks
Posted by: Skip Kerwin (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: September 25, 2011 09:19PM

Looking for advice on using light colored Pro Wrap thread on dark blanks. The wraps look great until I put color preserver on them, Then, as it soaks in, the color of the blank starts to show through. I've done my best trying to get the threads packed evenly, but I still get bleed through banding. I can't get good old Gudebrod anymore, so I may have to try FishHawk. Has anyone tried applying color preserver to Pro Wrap and letting it dry before wrapping?

Thanks,

Skip

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pro Wrap, black blank, color preserver streaks
Posted by: Scott Brown (---.sub-75-201-118.myvzw.com)
Date: September 25, 2011 09:39PM

CP or epoxy will make the thread semitransparent, metallic is not so bad nylon is worse and white silk will disappear. I use the Pro Wrap Color Fast and no CP and it works out great as long as there is not a lot of contrast in the blank and thread. In that case you will either have to color the blank or do an underwrap.

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: September 25, 2011 10:09PM

In that case, your best bet is to underwrap with either the same color or a lighter color.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Bryce Abbott (---.lightspeed.wchtks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 25, 2011 10:09PM

Gudebrod is back in business.

Bryce Abbott
Go & Do Likewise

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 25, 2011 10:29PM

If you try to paint a black wall with a light colored paint, you'll find it doesn't work so very well. Takes a few coats to get the desired results.

You cannot expect to put a very light colored thread over a very dark colored blank and not have the thread darken a bit, even with CP. To do what you want, you'll have to use NCP thread or color the underlying area with white paint.

I will assume that you're not thinning your CP.

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: September 25, 2011 11:14PM

I've had really good luck with the ProWrap thread, so my guess is, that isn't the problem. I got a bunch of "old" Gudebrod early on, and they seem equivalent, at least to me.

Drew

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 26, 2011 12:04AM

Skip,
How does the wrap look if you skip the color preserver and just apply a coat of finish?

I personally dislike the use of color preserver for just such reasons.

Try it out on a piece of scrap and let us know what you find.

Roger

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: September 26, 2011 08:13AM

All of them will do that.
Either paint/color the area you're wrapping with white or use an NCP thread.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 26, 2011 09:03AM

Even NCP darkens a tad over a dark blank.

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 26, 2011 09:15AM

Hi Skip,

I do everything within my power not to use CS/CP!!! Just me as I know other builders use CS/CP all the time. I use metallic thread as often as possible which means 99% of the time.

When I have to use white nylon or pearl metallic over a black blank I will mask off the wrap area using FROGTAPE masking tape. I then apply 2 or 3 coats of quality white paint, making sure no black shows thru. After the paint is well dried I apply one coat of flexcoat CS/CP over the wrap area. (This applies a hard coat over the paint. The thread will move easier and the pull thru string will have a harder time scratching the white paint). Next I score (straight edge razor) the area where the tape meets the paint to give a straight clean line when the tape is removed. Remove the tape and wrap.

Now you are ready to wrap and it will be like wrapping over a white blank. Of course this is not for everyone. Some builders will wrap silver metallic thread first and then the white or lighter color thread. This give a nice effect.

Hope this helps.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: Skip Kerwin (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: September 26, 2011 05:35PM

Thank you all for taking the time to comment and offer advice. In the short term, I solved the problem by using the last of my old Gudebrod NCP. Now that I am out. I'm going to try a few of your suggestions and see what works. I'm building heavier "musky" rods, and using D weight thread. With the new Pro Wrap, I think I'll try a size A underwrap of the same color, then the heavier overwrap. Just so you know the whole story, the blank is black. The white underwrap goes the entire length of the two-footed guide and beyond. The guide is wrapped on with navy blue Pro wrap, right over the white under wrap. Then a red trim band is applied over the extended white underwrap at each end. The white does not show through either the blue or the red. It was the white underwrap, under the guide, between the two guide wraps, the was showing the bleed through.

I knew I was asking for trouble with white thread over black, but it worked OK with the old Gudebrod NCP. As requested, I will do some experiments and post the results (with a couple photos if I learn how to upload them.

Skip Kerwin

Posted by: michael schnoor (---.ga.at.cox.net)
Date: September 27, 2011 02:21AM

I just did an ohio state themed rod for a buddy with NCP red thread, and the color did change over the black blank. Any time you are wrapping over black, the color does seem to darken no matter what; however, when I did use my neon green over a different black blank, there was no color change at all. Red always seems to change in color for some reason. /stumped

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 27, 2011 08:31AM

Even on NCP thread I put at least one coat of CP on It seams to help

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 27, 2011 09:12AM

The color preserver is NOT the problem with threads changing colors, it's the threads. CP doesn't magically work on some colors and not others. It doesnt' even matter, people need to take mor etime testing wraps and finishing them to see what they'll actually look like, I have tons of samples of test wraps so when I need to match somthing I know what hte finished product will look like befor eI start out.

Posted by: Marco Cellini (---.27-151.wind.it)
Date: February 18, 2022 08:48AM

Capt Neil Faulkner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Skip,
>
> I do everything within my power not to use
> CS/CP!!! Just me as I know other builders use
> CS/CP all the time. I use metallic thread as
> often as possible which means 99% of the time.
>
> When I have to use white nylon or pearl metallic
> over a black blank I will mask off the wrap area
> using FROGTAPE masking tape. I then apply 2 or 3
> coats of quality white paint, making sure no black
> shows thru. After the paint is well dried I apply
> one coat of flexcoat CS/CP over the wrap area.
> (This applies a hard coat over the paint. The
> thread will move easier and the pull thru string
> will have a harder time scratching the white
> paint). Next I score (straight edge razor) the
> area where the tape meets the paint to give a
> straight clean line when the tape is removed.
> Remove the tape and wrap.
>
> Now you are ready to wrap and it will be like
> wrapping over a white blank. Of course this is
> not for everyone. Some builders will wrap silver
> metallic thread first and then the white or
> lighter color thread. This give a nice effect.
>
> Hope this helps.

Hi Neil,
I fought in this old post of yours while I was looking for a solution to a problem related to the making of light color wraps on a dark blank. I consider the method you described and used to be very valid (I tried it), but it is not clear to me how you solve the problem to mask foot of the ring . Does that have to be painted too?

Thank you for your support
Marco Cellini

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster