I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Peel n Stick v Waterslide - Epoxy Behavior
Posted by: Chris Beverley (---.infinity.net.au)
Date: September 25, 2011 06:58PM

Gidday Gents,

Over the this past weekend, I have been finishing a rod which has both "Waterslide" and "Peel n Stick" decals in the signature panel.

I applied a coat of finish, intalled the decals and then applied two coats of finish over.

The epoxy finish (Threadmaster) pefectly levelled over the waterslide decal however, over the peel n stick, it went wavy.

I did not apply any fixative or CP over any of the decals.

I think this has been my problem. I have only started to expereince problems with wavy finish over decals since using the new Decal Connection Peel n Sticks. Has anyone else experienced this?

I must admit that at times, I may have up to 8 decals on a rod (customer name, my logo, rod info, factory decal, images etc) so there is a lot of decal surface and not much rod surface!!

Will CP or an acryilic fixative solve this issue? Can you apply the CP or fixative to the whole area of the signature panel?

Any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Chris

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Peel n Stick v Waterslide - Epoxy Behavior
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 25, 2011 07:35PM

Any gloss surface, such as that of a peel and stick decal, will repel finish. Sometimes the fix is as simple as applying a coat of CP on the decal first, then applying finish.

Date: September 25, 2011 07:37PM

Thanks Tom. Does it matter if the CP is applied to the base coat of finish under the decals? Sometimes, there is more decal thena rod so it woul dbe easier to apply to the whole area.

Posted by: Bryce Abbott (---.lightspeed.wchtks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 25, 2011 07:43PM

I had the same trouble. The edges were picking up. After talking to Decal Connection I did two things. First, after applying the decal I made sure I burnished it and hit is pretty hard with a hair dryer. After it cooled I applied CP. It worked fine after that.

Bryce Abbott
Go & Do Likewise

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 26, 2011 03:54AM

Chris, your problem began here: "I did not apply any fixative or CP over any of the decals"

I will not finish over ANY decal without fixative, so easy, so simple, works 100% of the time, why not use it?

DR

Posted by: Drew Pollock (162.119.68.---)
Date: September 26, 2011 12:57PM

So is it absolutely necessary to apply a fixative? I've only installed 1 decal, and in my ignorance, just put the finish over it. Will it delaminate or cause problems later? It was a nice rod for my brother, so if it's a problem, I'll get it back from him and re-do it.

It was a Mudhole custom text peel and stick decal if that matters.

Drew

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: September 26, 2011 01:47PM

Drew,

NO you do not need to do anything, your rod and decal is FINE.

Sometimes peel and stick decals will reject finish, it may fish eye, or get wavy or separate on or around the edges of decals. For this reason I use Krylon Fixatif spray over EVERY decal. It's a preventive thing.

I use it knowing that I am preventing a problem that may or may not exist. Having said that, the risk is high in my opinion of having a problem. I use the Fixatif and never worry as I know I have sealed down any issue that may be there.

DR

Posted by: matt willey (173.20.104.---)
Date: September 26, 2011 04:27PM

sometime the epoxy will not sick to the decals i use u-40 color lock it is like using paint primer

Date: September 26, 2011 05:16PM

Duane, I think that is a good move. I will do that from now on. Prevention is far better than cure!
I looked at several rods I have made form the past 3 years and my earlier ones with all waterslides have a far better finish that the ones with Peel n Sticks.

Date: September 26, 2011 06:26PM

Chris,

One can of fixatif lasts forever, I've only bought 1 can. Had it for years. I just LIGHTLY spray 2-3 coats on letting each dry in between the other. Only takes less than a minute to dry and it flat out WORKS ....and works 100% of the time. I've not had a single issue with decals since starting to use it. That say a lot to me, because I was 50/50 before, 1/2 my decals were a nightmare. Now I dont worry about decals, I have no fear of using any brand decal. At just a few bucks for a can of fixatif, my can has been worth hundreds of dollars to me in peace of mind and ease of use.

Try the fixatif a few times and you'll be hooked on it forever. All the arts and crafts stores carry it if you have one near you..

DR

Date: September 26, 2011 08:09PM

Duane,
Do you mask up the decals or just lighty spray the general label area? As I mentioned, I always use several labels of my own plus the manufacturer's technical specs so, there aint much blank left!
Cheers
Chris

Date: September 26, 2011 08:41PM

Also, is the fixative you are referring to called "Krylon Workable Fixatif" or, the "Fine Art Fixatif"? I notice that both contain acetone and am wondeirng if this will react with the peel n stick decals.

Date: September 26, 2011 09:14PM

Krylon workable fixatif is correct

I just lightly spray the general area masking off reel seats and grips

The acetone has zero effect. I'm not heavily painting this product on, just a couple VERY LIGHT coats that dry very fast is all it takes.

DR

Date: September 26, 2011 09:34PM

And how long do you leave it until you apply the finish?

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: September 27, 2011 01:30PM

I usually leave it about 1 hour, and don't touch it with your fingers either to see if it's dry, it will be. I have left it anywhere from 1hr to 24hours, no problem at all.

We dont need to make it hard to do. All anyone needs to do is apply a couple nice light dusting coats over the entire decal area, re-coat with finish 1hr or more later. Simple as can be.

DR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2011 01:33PM by Duane Richards.

Posted by: Richard Khoury (---.carlnfd1.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: September 29, 2011 08:25AM

Hi,

Is color preserver by itself enough, or do you also need to add another fixative on top, to keep the decals stuck down on the blank before epoxy?

Thanks,

Richard

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster