I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: New Sponsor
Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: September 25, 2011 05:32PM

And I also say welcome Tru Flo.
It is people like you supporting our craft that make this such a great web site and strong community.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Les Stewart (---.rh1.dyn.cm.comporium.net)
Date: September 26, 2011 10:21PM

Is the 27mm shown the only size they make? And like Bill B was asking, anybody know what the inside material is made of or coated with?

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 26, 2011 10:45PM

Anything that deviates from the "accepted" or "traditional" is often looked at with suspicion which is usually based on nothing other that the fact that it's "different". For many, anything other than snake guides on a fly rod is heresy, micro guides are a fad and spiral wraps a gimmick (een though they have been around since the 20's)

I have no idea of the benefits of these guides, but I certainly wouldn't judge them with out trying them. I would think that the best place to get questions answered would be from the manufacturer rather than from people who have never tried, or even seen them' The market place will ultimately determine.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 26, 2011 11:15PM

Hey Chuck, If Tru-Flo just came up with the idea a decade ago, where did they get the idea?

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 27, 2011 08:15AM

I wrote to them - they have one size currently. The coating on the inside is proprietary. I'm going to buy & try

Posted by: Gary Snyder (---.fort-lauderdale-04rh15-16rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: September 28, 2011 10:11AM

I've seen something like a spincast reel cover mounted as a first guide over ten years ago.

Posted by: Tru-Flo Division (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 28, 2011 11:30AM

Thanks guys for the welcome. Looking forward to using RodBoard as a resource for tips & tricks of the art for our custom dept.

To address some of the questions you may have:

a) the idea for the Tru-Flo Guide was exactly that -- an "idea". One day about 12 years ago, that idea light turned on. Since the recreational fishing industry always needs something better performing; this idea hit home. When you always think about fishing, these types of ideas will pop-up. Whether you build on it or not is what really matters.
b) the current 27mm size will accommodate all inshore, backcountry, river and lake spinning gear with reels up to size 4000. We are developing a surf fishing model to handle larger sized reels, but if you happen to use a 4000 for surf, then the 27mm works fine. The industry trend is moving in that direction -- lightweight and streamlined surf rods.
c) with its Multi-Tangent Design, the Tru-Flo Guide not only improves casting performance, but also reduces line stress relating to retrieving and fighting larger species. With any ring-type butt guide, there is a "hot spot" (the sharp bend in the line from that guide to the reel) when battling the fish. This causes severe line fatigue and eventual birdnesting. These are not issues with the Tru-Flo Guide.
d) literally, thousands of test casts were made with the Tru-Flo Guide and various ring-type setups. The distances were measured and recorded. The data was compiled and compared. The results showed the Tru-Flo having a consistently dramatic improvement over the ring-types.

Hope this answers some of the curiosity issues that come with new innovations.
Feel free to contact us through our website: www.truflodivision.com or just click on the "Tru-Flo Guides" sponsor link in the list to the left.

Tight Lines & Slick Rods....

Tru-Flo Division

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2011 12:18PM by Tru-Flo Division.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.26-24.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: September 28, 2011 04:13PM

Tru-Flo Division Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> a) the idea for the Tru-Flo Guide was exactly that
> -- an "idea". One day about 12 years ago, that
> idea light turned on. Since the recreational
> fishing industry always needs something better
> performing; this idea hit home. When you always
> think about fishing, these types of ideas will
> pop-up. Whether you build on it or not is what
> really matters.

When was the "idea" turned into a patented product? How long has the guide been in actual production? How many rods (or butt guides) are currently in the field being used? What are the warranty terms on the guide? Thanks in advance for your answers.

Posted by: Tru-Flo Division (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 29, 2011 11:06AM

Jim,
Re. warranty: it is same as basic ring-type guides.
Not sure where you're going with the other questions. Initial patent pending status was over a decade ago.
Hope this suffices.
Thank you
Tru-Flo Division

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster