I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Flex coat
Posted by: irving garza (---.static.meriplex.com)
Date: September 20, 2011 02:18PM

I need some tips on applying flex coat on my rod. This is my second rod and the first time the epoxy came out really cloudy and bubbly. I also think I applied too much at one time. Do I heat up the epoxy to thin it out?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flex coat
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 20, 2011 02:50PM

You can yes Put them in some hot water for about 20 min.

two thin coats

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: irving garza (---.static.meriplex.com)
Date: September 20, 2011 02:52PM

Thanks! will post pics when done

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 20, 2011 03:02PM

A cloudy appearance is usually from not stirring it long enough.

Bubbles are generally the result of over-zealous stirring and too much brushing.

Stir slowly for at least 4 minutes (the epoxy will cloud when mixed and will clear when blended). Try not to introduce bubbles. Pouring the epoxy out onto a piece of foil and allowing to set for just a brief minute will allow most bubbles to rise and leave the mix.

Posted by: Larry Damore (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 20, 2011 06:41PM

A little trick of mine for getting rid of the bubbles: After you pour you mixed contents onto the foil simply exhale your hot breath over the epoxi once or twice. Vuala!! No more bubbles!!

Posted by: Michal Rozycki (193.201.167.---)
Date: September 21, 2011 05:58AM

Apart from mixing the stuff well but not over-zealously, I have used a cigarette lighter extensively on my last two rods with considerable success (I like to think so ;-))
This has effectively removed any remaining bubbles and resulted in a nice smooth transition from blank to finish. Besides if you put too much finish on a wrap and then heat it somewhat, the excess will drop down, although you still need to make sure it's evenly spread along the wrap.

Posted by: John Straight (---.netsync.net)
Date: September 21, 2011 12:17PM

hair dryer

JLS Custom Rods
Cassadaga, NY

Posted by: John Straight (---.netsync.net)
Date: September 21, 2011 12:17PM

hair dryer

JLS Custom Rods
Cassadaga, NY

Posted by: Chris Beverley (---.infinity.net.au)
Date: September 21, 2011 06:56PM

My favourite piece of aparatus is my automatic epoxy mixer I purchased from Mudhole (the even had a 220 (240) volt model for me here in Oz). I have never had a unmixed batch since buying it 3 years ago. It is awesome., I mix 4cc, 5cc and 6cc batches of Threadmaster regularly for 5 minutes (timed on my iPhone) and the mix is perfect every time. I don't now why anyone would keep mixing by hand when these little beauties are available.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 22, 2011 09:39AM

I agree with Chris. Since purchasing an epoxy mixer from Mudhole, the frustrations with epoxy mixes have been eliminated. Well worth the investment.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.sip.chs.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 22, 2011 10:25AM

I have to say that epoxy mixers make life more convenient for some folks, but it doesn't do a better job of mixing. I'd say there were a few rods built before motorized mixers became popular.

The mixers are great, I'm glad folks enjoy them, and I have absolutely no problems with their use. However, until I feel I do an inadequate job of stirring a cup by hand I don't thik I'll be converting over. Each to their own...variety is the spice of life.

Posted by: Rodney Davis (---.lightspeed.moblal.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 22, 2011 12:21PM

I like my mixer but there still sometimes is micro bubbles I transfer mine to a foil dish hit it with the alcohol burner and seems to fox the issue with bubbles

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 22, 2011 03:36PM

Got my own tricks and I mix with a cup with no bubbles and no foil

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster