I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need help with Florida Pier Spanish Mackeral rod
Posted by: Tony Childs (---.196.sag.speednetllc.com)
Date: September 19, 2011 04:41PM

A little out of my element on this one. A good friend asked me to build a couple of spinning rods for pier fishing Florida Spanish Mackeral. Here is what he gave me to go on. I'll have many more questions for him after I get a better feel for the techniques and information you guys give me. He said they use 4000 and 5000 series spinning reels filled with 20-30# braid. 12' - 15' blanks? My first thought was some of the Steelhead blanks we use up here. Any information that any of you down there have on this type of fishing would be great to get me going. Oh, he indicated that most of the fish are in the 3-5 lb. class. Didn't say what baits they used, but am guessing tossing live bait?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need help with Florida Pier Spanish Mackeral rod
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.26-24.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: September 19, 2011 05:34PM

I recommend the Lamiglas Tri-Flex TF90-15 is absolutely ideal for pier fishing. It works well for a multitude of species. The blank is tough, strong and has a good action for this type of fishing. It has enough length for a good cast, yet short enough to not give away too much leverage. FYI, it is a composite blank at 7'6" with a very light, 3-3/16 ounce, blank weight. Best of all, it is very reasonably priced and Made in the USA.

Posted by: michael schnoor (---.ga.at.cox.net)
Date: September 20, 2011 01:45AM

Tony, I'm assuming he is fishing at the skyway piers in Tampa, fl. You are talking about a 20 ft drop just to the surface of the water. If he is mackeral fishing there, most people are throwing spoons attached with a 1oz egg sinker to fling it really far out there. Usually it puts a high amount of stress on the rod tip. Now, I'm not sure if that's what he does, or if he is tossing out cut or live greenbacks(That's what we use there) but you should definitely ask him. If you can find out a little bit more, I can try and help.

Posted by: Andrew Cake (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 21, 2011 11:23PM

Let me help you clear the air on this. I have been pier fishing for 20 years. I have caught my fair share of spanish, blues, ect, and I have tested most rods to the core. The typ of lure is called a GOTCHA plug and typically can weigh 5/8 to 7/8 plugs. Now this is the most common used lure to catch spanish, or even a small spoon.( anything with flash) But what we look for is a rod from 7' to 7'6" and a fast action tip. The purpose of this is to create the super fast movement the jig was designed to create and to jig it really fast. The fish dont weigh much, but they put up a serious fight. So you want the rod to have some good lifting power. I hope this helps.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: September 22, 2011 07:07AM

Hey, I used to catch spanish mackeral upwards of ten pounds off piers back in the 70's. Live bait and a few ounces of weight was the general offering. Squidders ruled and you wanted enough rod to flip them on the peir.

Times have changed:) Regardless I agree with Jim and would look towards a composite blank. Lamiglas has always been a top choice for such work.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Andrew Cake (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 27, 2011 03:06PM

i agree lamiglas is my top choice too

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster