I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
salmon river snagging?
Posted by: billy broderick (---.scr.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 18, 2011 11:56AM

I have a customer that is going up to fish the salmon river in up state NY. He wants me to build him a rod for fishing the river salmon run. I know Salmon don't eat when they are back to spawning mode Now I worked in alaska on the Kenai river building for a lodge up there and built a ton of what they call "flossing" technique rods for silvers. But he says this is more like snagging with a weight 16 inchs away from the hook. Does anyone have any experience with this type of rod? Sounds like combat fishing at its finest as he says its shouldet to shoulder. That means no long runs or its probebly spaghetti so have to be heavier line class. even on his private land a quarter mile from the hatchery. I want to know everything top to bottom. Blank, length, liine class, set up, handle etc. Anyone have any experience with this type of fishing or this river?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: salmon river snagging?
Posted by: Don Morse (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 18, 2011 01:35PM

I don't know a lot about snagging except what I watched my father do when I was young and it was legal here. The rod he used was a 6 foot heavy action and 30 lb test. The grips on his rod were wood, the rear was about 12" and the front was probably 6". Very large reel to accommodate the heavy line, I remember him snagging on logs and other stuff in the river and that was the reason for heavy line. The hook used are not cheap so you don't want to loose them.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 18, 2011 01:40PM

Billy,
I haven't built any, but I have seen folks using rods for snagging paddle fish on some of the western rivers for the same reason that you snag for salmon. i.e. the fish won't take a hook and line.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Skipp Hughes (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: September 18, 2011 01:50PM

From what I know Snagging is 100% Banned in New York Not sure though

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: September 18, 2011 02:39PM

Banned Totally in NY. I would strongly advise your customer to read the NYS Fishing Regulations on fishing the Salmon River. There have been some changes in the last several years regarding the type of set up you may use for fishing this river and any other NYS Great Lakes Tributary.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.253.188.72.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: September 18, 2011 04:11PM

Snagging salmon in New York has been illegal for over 20 years. "Lining" salmon is illegal in New York. Only single hooks may be used. Hook gaps are limited. Distance between weight and hook is limited. Altmar, where your friends private (?) land is located, is a fly-fishing only section where a separate season and separate regulations are in effect. Spawning-run chinooks and cohos will take a fly, perhaps out of annoyance or aggression. A nine foot, nine weight fly rod is probably the most popular rig there. It's mostly "chuck-and-duck" casting 30' or less with split-shot weighted leaders. Lots of rods are broken from high-sticking 20lb.+ salmon and from being dinged by split shot. I would not use my $750 fly rod there. You are free to fish shoulder to shoulder, but there's a long section of river to fish. If you are willing to walk a mile or so, especially if you are willing to bush whack, you will leave the crowds behind. The all-tackle world's record coho salmon was caught in this river. Good luck.

Posted by: Jess Brindisi (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 18, 2011 06:01PM

Phil pretty much nailed it. Snagging and lining are both illegal on the Salmon River. Can't even buy lead any more in NY for many reasons.

Maybe suggest a rod that will be used "legally". Swinging streamers, or high stick "indy" fishing for steelhead and browns on the same river. The beauty of the Salmon River is that once the Salmon are dead/gone, there is an awesome steelhead fishery. This is also when the goons leave and the river and Pulaski are peaceful again.

I used to fish the Salmon River every year for salmon (probably 15 years in a row). Got sick and tired of fighting a fish down river to come back to my "spot" occupied by a non-American speaking person wanting to fight me when I wanted my productive run back.....or tired of seeing goons whack salmon on the head with a bat in shallow water and add them to the stringer that was already 2 or 3 fish over the legal limit. Haven't been back for Salmon in years.

Wait for the snow and ice to show up, the goons to leave and then enjoy some beautiful scenery, solitude and very technical fishing....called steelhead fishing.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 18, 2011 06:59PM

It is a fallacy that Salmon wont take flies!!! I have caught, Coho, Chinook, Sockeye and Chum Salmon on flies in Alaska, British Columbia and California. They don't bite to feed but from irritation or habit.

Posted by: Joe Azar (---.sub-174-252-202.myvzw.com)
Date: September 18, 2011 08:37PM

Snaggin ain't fishin. Dynamite and electroshock is more effective.

Posted by: billy broderick (---.scr.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 18, 2011 08:42PM

I think he is not using snags anymore as he said he used to when he was a kid But he does state that its not a matter of casting but flipping 10 feet in front of you letting it drift down in front of you set and repeat. Simmelar to what we do on the kenai in alaska. most just put a piece of yarn on the hook to make it legal. The fish arnt biting as much as moving it out of there way. or you just get lucky enough to have the line floss them across the mouth Still no suggestions for a blank? or set up?

Posted by: Jess Brindisi (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 18, 2011 08:49PM

no suggestions for flossing/snagging but a Rainshadow 1562 works great for float fishing or centerpinning on the Salmon River. Different target species, different fishing method, but IMO way more effective.

Posted by: Patrick Marecic (---.central.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 19, 2011 10:21AM

I have to concur with the others on this post. I have fished for coho & chinook in ontario & michigan for several years. First, snagging is illegal in most states and provinces. Second, the salmon that come in to spawn are NOT eating from the time they come in. But they are still very aggressive and still have the instinct to attack anything that swims close enough to their head. An Orvis guide friend of my brother totally humiliated me my first day ever fly fishing for salmon in Sault Ste Marie. One of the guys I was with insisted you could only catch them by snagging. I was having no luck and was quickly being converted to the snag club. My brother's guide friend grabbed my rod and, not changing a thing proceeded to hook 6 or 7 salmon in the corner of the mouth in a matter of 20 minutes. The water is a foot deep & I could see the fish slash at the fly and run downstream immediately. Anyone who has snagged a salmon knows that they can sit there for minutes until they know they are hooked, but if they take the fly, they put on a strong run immediatly.
Long post & probably beating a dead horse, but, if you use a bright flashy fly and put it right in front of their faces, they WILL take your offering. You will end up snagging some because they miss and slash around and your hook gets caught on something other than their mouth. But I have about an 80% in the mouth sucess rate, and it's not because I have the professional reflexes reqired to routinely snag them in the mouth.
So get a good strong stick and line that will take alot of abuse running across rocks for a 20 to 40 minute fight! And stock up on the Ben Gay for the next several nights!

Date: September 19, 2011 11:45AM

If a spawning run Pacific salmon jumps immediately upon being hooked then break it off. It is foul hooked, no matter what rod blank you have used.

Posted by: rick sodke (---.pmc-sierra.bc.ca)
Date: September 19, 2011 12:23PM

Many Pacific Salmon will jump immediately upon being hooked. Yesterday I caught a dozen Pink Salmon in deep, slowly moving water using floating line. They were certainly not snagged or flossed and most of them jumped immediately after I set the hook.
Chum and Coho will also often jump immediately after being hooked.
I don't know about breaking off - that just points to using inadequate test tippet for the target species. A fresh 20lb Chum Salmon is easily landable on 12lb test in the waters I fish (West Coast B.C. Canada).

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 19, 2011 08:07PM

I do not understand the reference to "jumping" indicating "foul hooking?" Coho often jump when mouth hooked, especially in shallow rivers! On the other hand, Chinook rarely jump.

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: September 19, 2011 10:31PM

I would not build it, I would never need the money that bad. It is wrong IMHO and would not support it in any way............

Date: September 19, 2011 11:36PM

Eric,
Why not. No, it is not wrong.
If a state legislature has set up a snagging season for certain species of fish, go for it and enjoy the unique sport.
There are many states that do have snagging or spearing seasons for various species of fish with specific conditions.
Go out and try it sometime and you might change your tune. It is lots of fun. Of course, the nice thing about snagging is that for nearyly 100% of the fish, you can release them just fine with little to no damage to the fish if you choose to do so.

Take care
Roger

Date: September 19, 2011 11:43PM

Here is a list of the various states which have unique snagging seasons for various species of fish.
Note that generally speaking, snagging is illegal in most states for most species. But, also note that most states do have some waters that are legal for snagging for certain species for a specific time of the year:

[en.wikipedia.org]

Take care
Roger

Date: September 20, 2011 12:03AM

Try getting a 100 lb paddle fish in during paddle fish snagging season on the Missouri River in Montana.
Great enjoyment and the eating is even better.
This is a very closely regulated season and when the quota has been taken, the season is closed.

[www.youtube.com]

Roger

Date: September 20, 2011 02:42PM

"Paddle Fish roe - marketed as "American Caviar" - has a steadily increasing value created by the well-to-do and satisfied by poachers, among others. The creation of a "snagging season" or any other season on this endangered species can only add to the probability of the extinction of this species.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster