I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How to darken guide feet?
Posted by: Peter Rubischon (---.dsl.dyn.ihug.co.nz)
Date: September 17, 2011 09:12PM

I'm currently building a "non glare" fly rod. Black blank, anodized reel seat and TiCH guides. I nee do darken the filed guide feet as I won't use colour preserver on the wraps. I thought about using cold bluing solution and someone suggested a permanent marker. Tests with the permanent marker resulted in a bleed of the black ink into the wraps. Can anyone suggest an easy way to handle this? Looking forward to your comments.
Cheers, Peter (New Zealand)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to darken guide feet?
Date: September 17, 2011 09:19PM

Sorry, just realized there is a recent discussion about black guide feet. But I'd still be interested in alternatives to the use of permanent markers.
Cheers, Peter

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 17, 2011 09:19PM

Black ink, let dry. Apply a coat of CP to the guide foot. Let dry. Apply finish.

Date: September 17, 2011 11:15PM

Thank you Tom, good idea with the CP, will give it a go.
Cheers, Peter

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: September 18, 2011 07:56AM

I've also used black nail polish, with good results. You have to let it dry also. I've found that it works better than black ink -- when I tried using a sharpie, some of the shine from the raw steel underneath came through the ink, and this doesn't happen with nail polish. And I've not had a problem with the nail polish reacting to the thread epoxy.

Black nail polish is not a specialty item anymore, by the way. You can buy it at any drugstore, as the goth kids love it. My wife was shocked when she learned that I didn't have to go to a Halloween store to get black nail polish -- she didn't realize black is as popular as it is. I mention this in case you, like my wife, think that black nail polish is hard to find -- it's not.

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 18, 2011 08:43AM

I will second the black nail poish, just have to put it on thin and it work like a champ!

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.26-24.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: September 18, 2011 09:50AM

Testor's Paint Markers work very well. You actually use them lke a magic marker, but you are applying an enamel paint. They are available in a host of colors which are handy for lots of things ... guide feet, epoxy ramps, an undercoat in wrap areas using light colors, touching up guide frames, etc.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 18, 2011 11:31AM

Auto supply caries auto touch up in small bottles with a brush

Bill - willierods.com

Date: September 18, 2011 05:02PM

Thanks for all the help.
I had the same problem with the sharpie (as Chris mentioned). I'll give the Testors Paint Marker and th nail polish a go. Might ask my wife to get the polish for me as I don't want to start any rumors in town!
Cheers, Peter

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: September 19, 2011 10:33PM

When I buy nail polish I always ensure I have a 12 pack on the counter and a fishing mag to help "balance" things out. in the end the 2.00 bottle of nail polish costs me like 20.00 but I drink the beer and read the mag so it is not a total loss i guess....

Posted by: Rufus Rhoden (---.metropcs.net.141.174.in-addr.arpa)
Date: September 20, 2011 08:08AM

Try a marks-a-lot permanent marker, doesnt bleed like sharpie does

Rufus
Port Saint Lucie, FL

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster