I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need Help Making a Decal
Posted by: Jeremy Reed (---.sip.sdf.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 16, 2011 12:13PM

I have a police officer here in Louisville that wants me to build his soon to be wife a fishing rod wedding gift. Problem is, he wants a decal with her university on it, which I cannot find because it's a smaller school. The wedding is not till the spring, so I'm getting an early start. I do not have the decal paper or a printer to make this myself. Could someone point me in the right to direction to who is capable of creating a decal?
Thanks for the help.

Jeremy Reed
Reed Rods
Benton / Louisville , KY

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need Help Making a Decal
Posted by: Rich Redmon (---.hostecan.com)
Date: September 16, 2011 01:01PM

I make my own, but know a lot of people use and are very happy with Decal Connection (link on the left under sponsors). Not sure if they will be able to do the school though if they have a trademark on their name or logo....but won't hurt to ask!

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 16, 2011 01:08PM

What I have done in the past is get in touch with the school book store. It's possible that they will have one that will work for you

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: September 16, 2011 02:00PM

Get in touch with the guys down at Swampland. Bill just worked with me on a decal. I happened to have some of the decal media so he just set up the image for me. But he can do the layout work and print it for you.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: September 16, 2011 06:42PM

Jeremy;
It might surprise you to know what Decal Connection has on hand in the way of decals of school emblems. They are in Clarksville TN. Give them a call.
If you can mail them the school emblem or logo, they can duplicate it and scale it to the size you want.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.dsl.ltrkar.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 16, 2011 10:23PM

Check out gamefaces.com - they make temporary tattoos. Sometimes the school bookstore/gift shop will have some and you can order over the phone.

I've used them for several rods and they have come out very well. You have to soak them in water, so once you apply, just let them dry very well and then CP over the top. Never had an issue.

Be aware of copyright and trademark violations. Most colleges have their protected thier logos.

-----------------
AD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2011 10:24PM by Alex Dziengielewski.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 17, 2011 08:04AM

Here's one site for the Eye Black that Alex referenced:

[www.eyeblack.com]

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.42.151.---)
Date: September 17, 2011 12:22PM

Contact me, might be able to help. Let me know the school you're talking about and the approx diameter of the area the decal will be used.

Date: September 17, 2011 03:20PM

I did some searching, and if you have a graphics program like paint shop pro then you can make your own labels.

Go on Google and do a search for your friend's wife's university- as in "Middle Tennessee State university logo"

You'll get a bunch of images that you can copy and paste into a graphics program image.

Set your image up in the program as a "new" image, set size at about 4 inches horizontal, 1.6 inches vertical.

Flood the image with a background color that will allow the logo to show properly on top of it. You can later trim it to fit the rod blank properly. Black is easy and allows the edge of the decal media to be blacked out with the edge of a magic marker tip.

copy the image of the logo you like, and paste it into the graphics program image, then size it properly. You can paste it twice if you want it at both ends of the label.

Use the graphics program for text, like "custom crafted for xxxxxx - 2011" or anything else the friend wants on it.

Go to Papillo.com and get their white vinyl media to print your label on. Get their clear spray finish to put onto the label before applying it to the rod. (to fix the colors and help prevent UV damage).

Posted by: kevin knox (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: September 17, 2011 05:05PM

Michael, what type of printer are you using? Ink Jet?

Posted by: Casey Abell (96.28.123.---)
Date: September 17, 2011 07:14PM

@#$%& yeah another louisville KY guy

Posted by: Jeremy Reed (74.130.55.---)
Date: September 18, 2011 12:16AM

NOT a Louisville guy, just live in the area. From western KY, and a UK fan....not a dirty bird fan. After the game tonight, I'm thankful we have a basketball program. Casey, are you in the Louisville area?
jwr

Posted by: Jeremy Reed (74.130.55.---)
Date: September 18, 2011 12:23AM

Thanks for the help. It looks like I hit jackpot with the bookstore suggestion.
jwr

Date: September 18, 2011 05:47PM

Canon inkjet. The media source is Papilio.com, not Papillo as previously reported. Inkjets work fine with the whity vinyl media. Keep in mind you cannot do chrome, mettalic colors, with the printers, and white is made by just not printing any color.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster