I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

surf rod cork tape install
Posted by: Greg Calkins (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: September 16, 2011 11:03AM

just got a couple ?'s on cork tape.
1. do you install the reel seat first or cork the entire butt section?
2. how do you finish off the top and bottom of the reel seat?
3. how to i figure the total lenght of the butt section? any standard sizes?

sorry these might be a bit elementary but its gonna be my first surf rod build and i havent used cork tape yet.

thanks!!!

p.s. do you have to belong to NERBS to attend gatherings or is it open to the public?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: surf rod cork tape install
Posted by: Dan Grulke (166.94.128.---)
Date: September 16, 2011 11:38AM

1. You can install the reel seat a couple different ways:

a. cork tape first stopping where the reel seat would be installed. Then install a foam grip/handle then arbor your reel seat and ream out to fit against the foam grip/handle. Then install the top handle/grip then cork tape again then an epoxy ramp from cork tape to blank.

b. sometimes you can cork tape past where the reel seat would go then install your first grip then slide and glue the reel seat to the cork tape then install the next foam grip, then an epoxy ramp

c. Just make sure that the cork tape doesn't have spaces under the foam grips or they will feel spongy (learned the hard way the last surf rod I built and had to cut one off and re-do)

2. I use foam grips but cord or other material can be used

3. it all depends on persons arm length, length of rod, and type of surk rod, and what it will be used for ie lure retrival or bait soaking.

If you need I will send a picture when I get home but there should be some pics of handles in the library.

Good Luck

Dan Grulke

Posted by: Gabe Nakash (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 16, 2011 12:15PM

double post... woops...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2011 12:16PM by Gabe Nakash.

sorry fellas.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2011 12:16PM by Gabe Nakash.

To answer your NERBS question,

No you do not have to be a member. We welcome everyone who wants to attend. Rod builders are kind of the only requirement, but even then we have people who just love to fish and see everyone in their own element. Come and you wont be disappointed.

Gabe
Jr. NERB.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 16, 2011 05:58PM

Greg; I install The Seat first,Then start the Cork tape right against the Seat a nd work to the Butt. If I an using Cork Tape for the Fore grip I do it the Same Approx 3 X the butt length will give you enough tape(Plus a little in case) I use a Business card and wrap it around the Blank to get the Cut length. Mark it at the over lap and that will give you the angle. I do a short(1/4")wrap at the reel seat to finish and secure the ends and coat it with epoxy

Posted by: John Martines (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: September 17, 2011 07:26PM

To answer your question about the NERBS. It is not a club, Nothing to join, There is a charge to come to a gathering which is basicly to cover the cost of food and drink. ( if you go away hungry you can only blame yourself) . The NERBS are a group of rod builders that set out to share info and show technics to builders who want to learn. There are enough different builders style wise to answer nearly any question you have. From simple how to do cork tape and grips to blank painting and carbon fiber to guide layouts and Dec wraps and EVA fancy Dec grips (from the master Billy). If you leave a gathering hungry and with no info.. it's your fault!!

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 17, 2011 08:39PM

Greg, shoot me an e-mail with any questions that Gabe & John haven't answerred already. The gatherings are a lot more than just rodbuilding, they are a lot of fun, we eat well, and there's a lot of non-rodbuilding talk abotu fishing and general man @#$%& if there is a particualr topic you're not interested in hearing about. Teh format of the gatheirng is loose, it's not a classroom or a lecture or seminar, it's really intereactive so it's not weird/awkward if you want to walk away. lol, it's also fun to watch me drink beers at 10AM and have everyone cracking jokes on me, lol.J/K.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster