I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bait Casting Rod Blank for Small Crankbaits
Posted by: Bert Nagy (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 14, 2011 07:32PM

Has anyone built a a bait casting rod for throwing small crank baits such as Rapala #5 shad raps and Norman Crappie Crank Baits?

These are fairly light, small baits, and are usually used on a spinning reel. The lakes I fish are weedy, and I usually don't take along a spinning rod. Space is limited on the boat.

I have built a Batson CB 70M, and Batson XSB 822.5 and tried these with the smaller crank baits, and they don't cast well on either of these rods.The smallest I can go is a #7 Shad Rap.

I was thinking that maybe a 7' rod that was less powerful, such as MHX P842 or S781 would work. They are rated for 1/16 and 1/32 and up weights.

Any blank recommendations, help, or insight would be appreciated.

Thanks
Bert Nagy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bait Casting Rod Blank for Small Crankbaits
Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: September 14, 2011 08:11PM

Bert,

What reel are you casting those cranks on? I don't have much problem casting a #5 Shad Rap, and find they usually cast better than the #7's. I have a Batson CB66M that works well with light cranks. The only thing is that with the combination of action and power in that blank you have to be careful not to put too much into the cast or it will backlash. It requires a slower casting stroke than you would normally expect, try taking just a bit off with the CB70M, and see if that helps.

With that said, the Batson ISJ781, might be what you are looking for. It has just a bit softer tip than the 822.5, loads progressively in the mid section rather than locking up like the 822.5, and doesn't have a ton of power in the butt section to help ensure that the hooks don't pull out. After the ISJ781, I might consider a one or two power popping blank. I know the IP840 doesn't have enough power in the butt to suit me for the task, but I haven't built on the 841 or 842 to know which would be a better choice for the task.

Joe

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.44.28.71.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: September 14, 2011 08:14PM

Something along the lines of the MHX S841 might be right up you're ally.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 14, 2011 08:19PM

Mod-Fast Popping blank for sure.

DR

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.suddenlink.net)
Date: September 14, 2011 08:44PM

We have built on both the IP840 & IP841 for light casting rods..
If you need a little more power go for the 841.
Also consider the RX8 graphite XP series.
Here are some links;
[www.schneidersrods.com]

[www.schneidersrods.com]

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.26-24.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: September 14, 2011 09:11PM

Rainshadow RX8 XSW72ML. It is a pretty neat blank. IMO, it would be a good choice for the application.

Posted by: Bert Nagy (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 15, 2011 07:23AM

Thanks for the responses. I appreciate the input.

Joe,

I'm using Shimano Curado E5 (The original Curado) with 10 lb line. I'm thinking that maybe if I dropped to 8 lb, it might cast better. I am apprehensive of going too small, due to the size of the fish we chase.

Yesterday, we happened on some schooling hybrids that were 4 to 8 lbs, and they would only take small baits. A #5 shad rap was the right size, and I could not cast it on the gear I had with me.

I wish Batson had a CB 70 Medium Light, but they don't. I will probably build a popping rod blank and try it.. The small baits work well in the fall.

Regards
Bert Nagy

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: September 15, 2011 09:23AM

Myself I would look at what Swampland has in the Castaway blanks. RIght now for crankbaits I have loved using the 963, 964 and 964 XP3 blanks. They are 8 foot, but have cut them down to 7 foot without any problems. Give them a call, they also have several other blanks that are good for crankbaits.

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.241.141.67.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: September 15, 2011 10:46AM

Bert, you might want to look at the MHX SJ783 (or 843, if you want a 7 footer). I build a lot of these in a spinning configuration, and have one myself. I can easily cast an unweighted Zoom Trick Worm a good distance. I built this blank in a casting config, for my son, and he loves it. He can cast a little square billed crankbait really well with a Curado, and I'm sure the Shad Rap wouldn't be any trouble.
Of course, this blank is a lot faster than current theory says should be used for CBs, but will work fine if you know how to use it.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.42.151.---)
Date: September 15, 2011 11:14AM

I have a crankbait rod that is very nice for light lures (I don't use it for Crappie Crankbaits-I'm not that good and have a great ultra light spin rod for them), Loomis CB841. The MHX CB841 if I am not mistaken, is the same action/power/length, and should be a wonderful small crank rod. I think that some of the other blanks recommended above may not load well with the 1/8 oz cranks, and properly loading the rod is the issue with light lures, especially cranks. This blank is a moderate action, not fast, but that is perfect for cranks and for loading over a long section of rod when casting.

I have not found a lighter action crankbait rod, but really haven't looked since I find casting anything lighter than that rod loads well with to be a problem. Much easier with an ultra light spin rod made from a 3 wt fly blank (7 1/2 foot). It is a pleasure rather than a challenge.

I suggest the MHX841 which is about 1/2 the price of my Loomis, then build a 7 1/2 foot ultra light spin off a fly blank, and you'll have both rods for about what I paid for my Loomis blank. And you'll be able to cast Crappie Crankbaits upwind. If you want more detail on the ultra light, just ask.

Posted by: Gary Snyder (12.77.249.---)
Date: September 15, 2011 11:35AM

Either MHX CB841-blend or a popping blank rated for 1/4 to 3/8 or 1/2oz. lure.

Posted by: Bill Tune (---.wasco-inc.com)
Date: September 15, 2011 12:34PM

Bert I spent years looking for a casting setup that would cast the SR-5's. The best combo I tried was a GLASS rod build on a now discontinued StCriox ML or L blank (I forget which). Croix still has several S glass blanks as do others. Still have it and use it a lot. The soft glass protects those small hooks well. And just as important the reel needs to be able to cast light baits. I use a Shimano CH-51 and it handles them fine. There are several now designed for the lighter baits such as Daiwa Pixy. If your Curado works fine, but if it is so so you might look at options. The advantage to the glass blank is that it will cast heavier baits well too.

Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 19, 2011 01:14PM

IP841 or IP840 as mentioned above would be my recomendation.

Tight Lines and Bull's-eyes,

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com
www.facebook.com/GetBitOutdoors

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster