I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

UL 4 Piece rod Dilemma/Question
Posted by: Ryan Higgins (---.130.132.122.nwinternet.com)
Date: September 14, 2011 07:29PM

I'm looking to build an ultra light 4 piece 7'-0" backpack rod. I have the reel already, a Pflueger Patriarch 9525 Spinning reel. The reel is 5.6 oz. and has a spool lip diameter of 42mm. I'm going for light as possible so I plan on using Fuji Titanium SiC guides. I'm looking for a rod to handle 1/32 oz lure weights and 2-4lb test line. Sadly there isn't anything in the market that meets these specifications but fly rods. Would I be ok using a 3-4wt 4pc 7'-0" fly rod like the St.Croix SCIV/SCII series offers? I've never built a fly rod, let alone one converted to spinning. Thanks for the help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: UL 4 Piece rod Dilemma/Question
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 14, 2011 08:24PM

The blank won't have any idea what you're doing with it - it's just a round, tubular shaft. There's nothing to convert, really.

For 1/32 ounce lures I'd lean towards nothing more than a 3-weight (of course, not all 3-weights possess the same power). A 2-weight would be even better. But that'll get you closer than most 4-weight rods.

Posted by: Ryan Higgins (---.172.125.31.nwinternet.com)
Date: September 14, 2011 08:55PM

My only concern is after searching the forum on this subject, it seems the majority of people dont like the action of a fly rod as compared to a standard spinning rod. I'm used to a fast/x-fast action and I know the fly rod with have more of a medium to slow action. My other issue is the size of the rod. Thy fly rods are VERY small diameter and I'm having a hard time finding components that have an ID of .25" and smaller.

Thanks for the tips on the line weight.

Posted by: Justin Schmidt (---.hlrn.qwest.net)
Date: September 14, 2011 09:18PM

contact Mark Crouse.... he just finished a 7' 3 pc UL for me.
Shot me an email Justinlschmidt@yahoo.com and I will fill you in.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 14, 2011 10:09PM

You won't find any fly rods with a truly slow action. They'll be about what you would find in a medium action spinning rod.

Any misfit between components and blank is taken care of by arbors, shims, etc. That's custom rod building.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.42.151.---)
Date: September 15, 2011 11:25AM

Tom Kirkman is on the right path-I'm a real advocate of long ultralights ( like 7 1/2 feet) made from 2 or 3 wt fly blanks. I suggest using a small skeleton reel seat with a custom turned (drill press wil work) insert sized for your reel.

this blank should work great for the backpack rod: F763-4-MHX 4 7'6" 3 1.1 Mod/Fast
.268 4 (Mudhole MHX) Butt diameter just over .250.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.HINET-IP.hinet.net)
Date: September 16, 2011 04:44AM

Wow, 2/3 wt - that's light. I'm using more of a 5+ wt for 1/32 oz and whipping them out there with 2 lbs test. I find that with moderate action ultralightlight rods, I don't get that pinpoint control of the jig that I like. But listen to Tom. He's forgotten more about rodbuilding and I'll ever learn in my lifetime...:)

Mo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2011 09:43AM by Mo Yang.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: September 17, 2011 09:05AM

We have been building longer UL spin rods on fly rod blanks for years.
My personal favorites are on either 71/2' or 8' blanks.
And for power, either 3 or 4 wt if throwing very light baits.
The sweet spot for many may be the Batson Rainshadow IF793.
here is a link;
[www.schneidersrods.com]

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Charlie Smoote (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: September 17, 2011 11:29AM

I 'Run and Gun' in the surf with a 12 foot spinning rod made from a crappie pole blank. I have 10 10mm guides on it and it's a winner. C2

Posted by: Richard Glabach (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 17, 2011 08:21PM

Charlie,

where do you find crappie pole blanks? They look like they could be very versatile.

Thanks,
Rick

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster