I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxy mixer-ideal batch size
Posted by: Brandon Gay (---.dsl.crchtx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 12, 2011 09:59PM

I got my new pac bay mixer in today from Get Bit Outdoors and was wondering what is the ideal batch size to mix up. I guess I am cheap so I normally mixed 3-4cc batches by hand and this gave me enough for guide wraps. 5-6cc for butt wraps. I'm assuming I will have to mix a little more due to loss on the mixing rod and larger cup, but what is the smallest batch that the mixer will handle?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy mixer-ideal batch size
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.26-24.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: September 12, 2011 10:26PM

3cc of each is just right for effective measuring (with syringes) and mixing (with a power mixer). IMO, it simply isn't worth the risk (and pretty much a guarantee) of a costly mistake.

Posted by: Chad Huderle (173.25.33.---)
Date: September 12, 2011 10:47PM

On occasion I'll go as low as 1 ml each of resin and hardener and have had no problems with my power mixer. I use a 1/2" steel ball bearing for mixing. But typically I'll use from 1.5 ml to 2 ml of resin and hardener. (measured with syringes)

It works for me, others may have different experiences.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 13, 2011 02:10AM

Brandon,
Your question is exactly why I used a mixer for a while but eventually sold it. I really did not mind mixing the epoxy by hand and I did not like the waste and clean up required from a power mixer.

With a hand mixer, I use a craft stick and I wipe off with a single part of a paper towel and apply the finish. Virtually no waste and can use any size mix that I desire.

Yes, if you are doing batch after batch of epoxy, a power mixer is userful. I just didn't appreciate some of the down sides of the mixer.

Good luck and mix safely.

Roger

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns3.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: September 13, 2011 02:22AM

Hi Brandon,
Check the speed of your mixer as I had a lot of problems with the one I bought, not from Outdoors. Ideal speed is 18rpm. If you haven't read it you shouild read Tom's acticle on mixers in the library. As far as quantities go I've done the same as Chad without problems since I sorted the mixer out but a lot of people would be with Jim on that one.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Date: September 13, 2011 10:26AM

Col,
What device do you use in your mixing cup to do the actual mixing.
i.e. is your mixing tool a ball or a rod, or something different.

Some folks use a ball in their cups, but then there tends to be an unmixed amount of finish on the bottom of the cup.
Others use an appropriatly sized piece of drill rod about as tall as the cup is deep. If a radius is ground on the ends of the drill rod to match the radius of the mixing cup theree is very little unmixed finish in the cup.
A quick wipe of the drill rod when mixed and you are ready to mix the next batch of finish.

Roger

Date: September 13, 2011 02:32PM

My mixer is 24 rpm's. I bought it because I've been having problems with micro bubbles that are difficult to blow out. I can blow the bigger bubbles out, but these micro's are stubborn and I can see them when I pour the mix on foil. It's odd, only in the last few rods have I developed these. So I figure I'm gonna give the mixer a shot.

Date: September 13, 2011 05:28PM

Brandon,
Since you have only seen these micro bubbles in the last few rods, have you changed your finish in the last few rods.

Possibly these micro bubbles are being created as a result of using a different finish?

Roger

Posted by: Chris Beverley (---.infinity.net.au)
Date: September 13, 2011 05:52PM

For what it's worth, I do 4cc, 5cc and 6cc batches (that's total quantity) depending on rod type and have never had any hassles with unmoxed epoxy or sticky results due improper cure.

Date: September 13, 2011 06:10PM

Thanks Chris, I think 4cc will be the smallest I'll try, Roger, they did get better once I moved from under the AC, but some are still being formed in the mixing process. I've used 1/4in wide spatulas, Popsicle sticks, and ends of brushes to mix with. I've used several batches of flex coat, I cleaned my syringes good, but I got some new ones in. I'm determined to get rid of these. Time will tell though.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse4.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: September 14, 2011 04:37AM

Hi Roger,
Had to modify my mixer as the cup and ball was leaving unmixed finish in the bottom corners. Used a shot glass and cut the threads and head off a ss bolt to use as a mixer. Shaped the end of the bolt so it would fit into the corners. The motor is still far too fast, 33rpm, but I've developed a method of using it so I get a full mix. Need a new microwave so the 15rpm turntable motor will end up on my mixer, not perfect but a lot better than 33 rpm. Wasted a lot of finish in tests before I was game to use it on a rod again. Applologies for not replying sooner.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster