I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxy ramp - why?
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 12, 2011 04:53PM

I have done a few ramps on rods some time ago, but quickly came to the conclusion that the effort was not worth difference, and that at the end of the day, there was really no reason to add the extra weight to the rod.

Does someone have a good reason to add a ramp to a rod?

Roger

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy ramp - why?
Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 12, 2011 05:03PM

Smooth transition = better feel in hand, looks. The weight is minimal at best. Great area to marble as well!

DR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2011 05:30PM by Duane Richards.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.static.stcd.mn.charter.com)
Date: September 12, 2011 05:28PM

Duane Richards Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Smooth transition = better feel in hand, looks.
> The weight is minimal at best.
>
> DR

All that, plus you can thread wrap it to match guide wraps and it is much cheaper than two or three good cork rings.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 12, 2011 08:40PM

Like Duane and Chuck said. It makes the rod look finished. I wrap thread up the ramp to the reel seat and everyone of my customers like it!! Any weight at that point is negligible. IMO, it just plain looks good and custom. EVERY think does not have to have a function

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 12, 2011 09:20PM

It's just one of the ways to transition from reel seat to blank when not installing a fore-grip.

No ordering of additional parts or extra rings to make that transition if you wish to use epoxy.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Date: September 13, 2011 02:11AM

I think that all of the above reasons are all excellent ones.

So in general, it can be done, you like it, so you do it.

Outstanding.

Be safe
Roger

Posted by: Gary Snyder (12.77.249.---)
Date: September 13, 2011 02:30PM

I'm one of the few who don't do it on bass rods. No winding checks or hook holders either. Anything we add to the rod can only add weight, damping, and reduce sensitivity, and increase build-time and cost. Additionally, it makes my rods unique and different from all the other "me too" rods out there. Uniqueness can be a great sales calling card.

Date: September 13, 2011 11:10PM

Gary,
Do you have any thing in front of your reel seat, or do you just have the reel seat and its associated arbor and then the butt wrap on the rod?

Roger

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.253.188.72.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: September 14, 2011 10:13AM

Saving weight on a fly rod is a priority because you have to wave the dang thing around so much, at least 5X as much as a spin or casting rod. You need not worry much over the un-leveraged weight a ramp adds to a spin or casting rod. If you are using nylon monofilament, which commonly stretches more than 10%, you need not worry about the reputed loss of sensitivity caused by adding a 16th of an ounce of ramp to your rod. Ramps are cosmetic, not pro or anti - functional. If you like how it looks, do it!

Posted by: Gary Snyder (12.77.249.---)
Date: September 14, 2011 12:47PM

I do have a fore-grip on my rods and I always grip the rod there.

I also like a definite end to my fore-grip... with no ramp, I think it actually helps with hand placement.

It's true that a ramp does not add much weight by itself, but all the little things we add to a rod - ramps, checks, hook keepers, butt caps, etc., all these things are cumulative and can add up.

I also realize that rods are a compromise between performance, comfort, and aesthetics (and other things). If light weight and sensitivity were everything, I would drop the fore-grip and the short three-five inch decorative wrap on my rods.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.42.151.---)
Date: September 14, 2011 06:36PM

turn the ramp from foam reel seat shims and it will weigh almost nothing, can be painted any colory you want, easier than epoxy, same sensitivity, nice feel.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster