I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

5 weight suggestion
Posted by: Ed Casteel (---.hsd1.ms.comcast.net)
Date: September 11, 2011 01:30PM

I'm looking to build a 5 wt 8' 6" rod for my 20 year old duaghter as a present when she returns home from college next spring. She is very petite (4'8") and doesn't have much power in her cast and it is rather slow. I think she would do well with a light rod with lots of line feel in a moderate fast action. She only gets to fish 4 or 5 times a year so her casting doesn't stay in practice. So, I'm looking for something fairly forgiving in the timing of her cast. She usually fishes with a 9' to 15' leader with size 14 to 18 nymphys, wet flies, scuds, etc. and size 18 to 24 midges with up to a 7X tippet. Often she fishes with a strick indicator and typically only one fly unless we are drift fishing from a boat. Any suggestions on blanks?

I've been looking at the

St. Croix Sc III and St. Croix SC2/SC4.

Orvis TLS Freshwater in 2 piece and 4 piece. they are rated a Mid flex (Orvis' rating system) of a Mid-Flex 6.5 and 7.0 respectively.

Sage VXP but this might be a little fast. However, the VXPs I've casted are light in hand and easy to cast.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 5 weight suggestion
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 11, 2011 02:13PM

The key to making things easy for her is to make sure you have the right line on whatever rod or blank you buy. Fast action rods load just as easily as more moderate action rods. Again, the key is to have the proper line on there for the distance she's trying to cast and fish in. When you hear someone say that fast action rods are harder to load, they simply don't have the proper line on their rod.

The only one of the above blanks that I have personally used is the St. Croix SCII/IV. It has a very fast action, coupled with an extremely light tip. I'd guess it has the lightest tip of all the blanks you mention.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2011 02:14PM by Tom Kirkman.

Date: September 11, 2011 08:50PM

The line is already determined. Her reel as Cortland 444 WF5. So she will be using 5wt line and not looking to overload a line. So, if I understand the CCS I think I'm looking for something in the 4.75 to 5.5 range?

Date: September 11, 2011 09:03PM

That depends on the casting/fishing range. The physical weight of a 5-weight line (or any fly line) changes as you move more or less beyond the tip.

Date: September 11, 2011 09:31PM

she can't cast far so about 30 feet usually. No long casts. When fishing midges with a strike indicator we usually are around 25 to 30 feet at the most unless it is a very sunny day, the water is low and clear. Then the further the better but much beyond thrity feet and she starts getting her indicator, fly and weight tangled up.

Date: September 11, 2011 10:08PM

Then I'd look for a rod with an ERN of about 4.5 and put a 5-weight line on it.

Date: September 11, 2011 10:48PM

Thanks Tom

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.vinc.in.charter.com)
Date: September 12, 2011 05:10PM

Ed,
You might consider the Cabela's PT+
Good, easy casting. Resonable price

Eugene Moore

Posted by: Walt Natzke (170.146.227.---)
Date: September 12, 2011 08:00PM

If her hands are small, don't overlook making the grip a bit slimmer. This also will increase her comfort and control in casting.

Walt Natzke
Ripon, CA

Date: September 13, 2011 09:59PM

She has very small hands so I will do that...thanks for the suggestion. considering a MHX 8'6" 4wt with a CCS of 4.75 as a 5 weight rod for her. Would like to sonsider some St. Croix blanks if I can get the CCS from St. Croix or someone else. I don't see the ones I'm interested in on the CCS data link on this site. I just built a 2wt St. Croix sc2/sc4 and it is a GREAT casting rod. Not sure if I 5 weight in the same blank would feel anything like the 2wt though.

Posted by: Bill Hanneman (---.lightspeed.mtryca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 16, 2011 01:18PM

"Not sure if I 5 weight in the same blank would feel anything like the 2wt though."

Feel is a function of the "loaded" frequency of a rod. If the actions (AA) are the same, one can get any feel one might desire by simply changing the WL (weight of line aerialized).
Try reading the CCS article on frequency.
Overall weight is another matter.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster