I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank & guide rec for long distance surfcasting tins
Posted by: ed lui (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 11, 2011 10:14AM

Looking for recs for long distance surfcasting 3oz micki jigs. Primary Goal is for max distance, followed by a fishable action to the blank(aka not an ultra fast tournament casting blank) and can be used with reasonable comfort plugging for 4/5 hours.

Reel is a daiwa saltiga surf 4500 loaded with sufix832 30lb braid. I am currently using a 11 ft 1 piece lami gsb1321m with hvsg30, hvsg 25m, and the remaining guides are svsg, tip is mnsg. Getting good distance. Looking to build a rod for max distance throwing 3oz tins. Blank, guide, and spacing recs please. Lcsg?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank & guide rec for long distance surfcasting tins
Posted by: James Whelan (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 11, 2011 03:27PM

I recently attended a CTS casting gathering sponsored by distributors in my area. The Vapor Trail 11' parabolic, 2-4 oz. (VT1104) impressed me the most. While the GSB1321M is my "go to", and the Sling Shot 11' 2-5 oz. is on my bench ready to wrap after much test casting, the CTS is lighter, thinner and stronger than either. It loads with moderate effort and casts 3 oz well. I am sure that it can cast further. The MSRP, however, is $85.00 -$100 more.

Is it possible for you to attend such a gathering?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2011 03:52PM by James Whelan.

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.169.popsite.net)
Date: September 11, 2011 04:01PM

I do not do long distance plugging and can only give you an opinion. First, the ratings of the GSB 132 1M indicate that it is a beast and would be very exhausting to cast for 4 to 5 hours. Ratings can be wrong. Maximum distance with ease of casting would bring it down to 2 Lamiglas blanks that would meet the requirements. The GSB 156 2M and GSB 168 2ML. I have cast the prototype of both to 200 yards. The 156 with 5 ounces and the 168 with 4 ounces. I would recommend the 156 for distance, ease of casting and strong back bone. Personally, I would not want to use a 14' rod for plugging or a 13' rod for extended plugging. However, the use of braid should prove very beneficial to the use of the 156.

Don

Don Becker

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: September 11, 2011 08:59PM

If you have the loot, I would look at one of the new Century blanks. I remember reading recently -- I think on Century's website -- that every current distance casting record in the world was made on a Century blank. The last time I pulled on a few of them, I was very impressed with the strength-to-weight ratio on them, and these are meant to be real fishing rods -- they're not gimmicked-up tournament casting things.

CTS also makes very fine blanks. There has been a lot written about whether CTS or Century is better, but these arguments, in my opinion, are largely pointless, as both companies make fine sticks. It's like arguing over whether BMW or Mercedes is better, whether ale or lager is better, or whether the Dallas Cowboys or the New York Yankees is the more despicable franchise. It's a fun game to play in a saloon, but it's largely a waste of time. You'd likely do very well with a CTS blank.

I have probably the worst casting technique in the Western Hemisphere, so take my advice with a grain of salt. But if absolute distance is your number one requirement, then I'd go with either a CTS or Century blank, in whatever combination of length, power, and action floats your boat. If you can find someone in your geographic area who has some of these, I'd check them out and pick what you like, as long as you have the budget for them -- these are not inexpensive blanks (though they're not necessarily as expensive as you might think -- Century, the last time I checked, had a surprising number of blanks with retail prices under $200).

Posted by: ed lui (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 11, 2011 09:48PM

Thanks for the blank recs. I'm in Ca. Who sells century and cts blanks, and ships to the us? Any thoughts or experience with fuji lcsg low riders? I read fuji recommending the first lcsg20 set at about the midpoint of the blank. The distance from the reel face to the first guide on a 11'8" to 13'0" blank using the formula is quite a distance.

For the lami 1562 blank rec, what guides and reel/line combo where used to hit 200 yds?

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.169.popsite.net)
Date: September 12, 2011 02:34AM

" I remember reading recently -- I think on Century's website -- that every current distance casting record in the world was made on a Century blank. "

Records are always being beaten. About two or three months ago Tommy Farmer's US record was best by a gentleman casting an older BREAKAWAY rod.

"For the lami 1562 blank rec, what guides and reel/line combo where used to hit 200 yds?"

I slept (several times) since I did the testing. It probably would have been either an ABU 5500 (.28mm line) or 6500 (.31mm line). My goal was to ensure the blank did not break under heavy load. Hence, 5 ounce lead cast with a high swing pendulum. Due to the moderate action of the blank it was easily cast to the 150 to 175 yard range. Since I usually cast a more powerful rod, the Conoflex Horizon, it took several additional casts to adjust my timing to be able to reach the 200 mark.

I actually found the prototype. It has a sanded finish and weighs 18 3/4 ounces built. Conventional build.
Guides - Alconites BMNAT 12, BLNAG 12, 12, 12, 12, 16, BMNAG 16, 20, 25.
No underwraps, single overwrap in red size C thread. One coat lite build epoxy. The wraps have excellent definition due to the deeper color of the blank where the epoxy overlaps onto the blank.

The reel seat is a Fuji 24mm.
The grips are red Tommy Tape about 6" above and below the reel seat and about 8" at the butt.

Don Becker

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2011 02:36AM by Donald Becker.

Date: September 14, 2011 11:02AM

ed lui Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the blank recs. I'm in Ca. Who sells
> century and cts blanks, and ships to the us?

The sole USA distributor for Century is Ryan White of Hatteras Jack, Rodanthe NC. There is a CTS distributor in NJ named Rich at RH Custom Rods. Both are googleable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2011 02:15PM by James Whelan.

Posted by: Scott Brown (---.sub-75-246-185.myvzw.com)
Date: September 14, 2011 09:17PM

Hatteras Jack is in NC

Date: September 16, 2011 02:16PM

Scott Brown Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hatteras Jack is in NC

Sorry about that. Just edited it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster