I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New Member and Question
Posted by: Jacob Thompson (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 10, 2011 05:17PM

Hello everyone, Im new to this forum and also to rodbuilding. My name is Jacob Thompson Im 15 years old and I love fishing and pretty much anything related to it. Ive been doing a few small repairs on some rods lately but I want to get into actually building myself a custom rod. Ive been watching videos on youtube (anglersenvy mostly) on how to do basically everything and its really helped my understanding of what to do a lot. But, I still have a question (probably lots more to come!), I see that when doing a butt wrap you go up the blank and back down and then tape the thread to the foregrip and cut it off but when you are completely done wrapping it, how do you end it? Do you just wrap some other thread around or close to the end of the thread thats been cut and wrap it like you would a guide sort of or what?

Thanks!
Jacob

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Member and Question
Posted by: Brandon Gay (---.dsl.crchtx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 10, 2011 05:37PM

Welcome to rod building. I would suggest buying some books on the subject. I've books from Dale Clemens, Billy Vivona, and Tom Kirkman. It will make life easier learning the tips and tricks others have spent years working on. Dale Clemens book's are very detailed. As far as your question, I put about 10 tight wraps and cut the design threads close, fray them out, and continue tie off wrap.

Date: September 10, 2011 05:40PM

Ok thanks I'll check some of those books out and see how they are!

Posted by: Bill Napier (---.quaintcompany.com)
Date: September 10, 2011 05:41PM

"Rod Building Guide" has the most detailed instructions on making basic crosswraps that you will ever find. The section on tying off the wrap is exceptional. Each step is matched with a full color photo. You cannot go wrong.

Date: September 10, 2011 05:44PM

Alright cool where can I buy it?

Date: September 10, 2011 06:06PM

Ok I found a book on amazon called rod building guide by tom kirkland. Is this the book you were talking about?

Posted by: Brandon Gay (---.dsl.crchtx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 10, 2011 06:36PM

Yep, that it. If you want to do wraps other than diamonds, I suggest Billy Vivona's book. It has a ton of patterns. I would recommend Dale Clemen's Advanced Rod Building, but it's kinda pricey.

Date: September 10, 2011 06:38PM

For now im not going to try anything other than a diamond. I might try some different wraps once I get some more experience though.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 10, 2011 07:06PM

You can go up and then down, wrap it around double faced tape and cut thread.....or you can go and then down, wrap around the tape a few times, and go up and down again.

When you cut you can end up with ends coming undone and generally a lot more tape. Honestly the best and easiest way to to do the butt wrap is before you put the reel seat and grips on. It just takes a little more layout work first. Otherwise you end up with a big bunch of thread and tape which is difficult to trim off. Plus you often end up messing up your grips because the thread cuts into them.

Biggest advice is build simple first. Forget looks for now and concentrate on what makes a superior fishing machine. The fish doesn't care what the rod looks like. You shouldn't either if you are outfishing your friends ten to one. Remember, everything and anything you add to the naked blank only degrades its fishing ability. So use the least thread, the smallest guides, the least finish. All of these things are counter to "good looks" but they are everything when it comes to putting fish on the dinner table. And last but certainly not least, forget everything about how you think a rod should look. They are built to catch fisherman's dollars and not fish.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 13, 2011 11:21AM

Welcome Jacob. you'll love it and are on the right track watching videos and asking questions. There's nothing to it, feel free to let us know how we can help.

Tight Lines and Bull's-eyes,

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com
www.facebook.com/GetBitOutdoors

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster