I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cracks In the but of a blank
Posted by: Richard Coons (64.118.176.---)
Date: September 09, 2011 10:30AM

This is my first attempt at rod building so please excuse me if this is a silly question. I purchased a MHX 2 piece 7wt blank from mudhole and after looking at the blank I noticed 3 or 4 small cracks at the butt of the blank that run length ways for about two - three inches. Is this normal or should it be concerning?

Thanks,
Richard

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cracks In the but of a blank
Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: September 09, 2011 10:37AM

I would say get a hold of Mudhole and get the blank sent back for a replacement.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 09, 2011 12:34PM

Richard,
It is up to you as to whether you send the blank back or not.
If you plan on using a conventional grip, you really don't have anything to worry about. If I were to use the blank, I would just take thread and do a wrap up the first three inches of the blank, before putting the butt grip on the rod. This, along with the glue that holds the butt grip in place will repair the cracks and prevent any further cracking.

But, if you want to pay for the return postage, go ahead and send it back for replacement and I am sure that Mud Hole will quickly send you a replacement.

Also, the 2nd option, might be to trim the butt of the blank by the amount of the cracks if you are not that concerned about the total length of the blank. This will give you a clean end to begin your build.

Your choice.

Roger

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 09, 2011 12:52PM

If you have any scrap blank stock, you can slip a thin walled section with a closely matching taper inside the rear 3 or 4 inches of your blank and all will be well.

Cracks or splits in the end of rod blanks are usually caused by something being sat on or pushed against the blanks during shipment or storage.

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 09, 2011 12:57PM

I don't know why you would try to "fix" it. You didn't pay for a cracked blank. Send it back and get it replaced. I'm sure Mudhole would like to see it anyway from a quality control perspective.

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: September 09, 2011 01:16PM

I agree with Bob. I would send it back.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Brandon Gay (---.dsl.crchtx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 09, 2011 01:36PM

Send it back and make them pay all shipping. Seems like lots of these blanks are breaking.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 09, 2011 02:07PM

No, a lot of these blanks aren't breaking. You must view such internet forum comments within the context of the number of items sold. If you saw 100 comments from folks saying they had an MHX blank break for no reason, and then viewed it against the realization that 30,000 of those blanks had been sold, that number of 100 suddenly seems like a paltry figure indeed.

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: September 09, 2011 03:40PM

All MHX blank received was perfect or near perfect.
Tom remarq sound good.
And you don't see 100 bad comment so .....

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nmci.usmc.mil)
Date: September 09, 2011 04:01PM

Brandon,

If you have any question simply contact the folks at Mudhole, they WILL take care of you! I have had an experience in the past where they replaced a broken blank with ZERO problems.... I need all to understand. I BROKE THIS BLANK !!!!!!!!!!! I was loading it into the car and broke the tip by my own stupidity. Todd replaced without blinking an eye.

I won't list the blank brand as it is of no importance what is more important to me is that I can call a vendor and they replace the product without hassle... This has been the case with ALL vendors that I have dealt with.

Tom Kaufmann

Posted by: Gary Snyder (---.fort-lauderdale-04rh15-16rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: September 09, 2011 04:40PM

Might be a broken blank. Is it softer there if you squeeze it with your fingers? I would contact Mudhole in any case.

Date: September 09, 2011 06:29PM

As was stated earlier , if it is in the butt section, use Mr. Kirkmans comments about placing a piece of blank inside ; do a few wraps on the outside and glue the butt grip in palce and go for it.
There will be 0 effect on the blank and save the hassle and expense of another blank shipping both ways.

Take care
REW

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2011 07:26PM by roger wilson.

Date: September 09, 2011 06:31PM

As was said a long time ago - pick your battles and fight the battles that you need to fight. Don't go tilting with windmills.
If you want to send it back for replacement, Mud hole will replace it with no charge and send you a new one.

If you want to build on your current blank go for it and don't look back. The cracks will be strengthened by the inner blank and wraps and will be invisible to the user of the rod and the weight gain if any will be neglibible.

REW

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.mycingular.net)
Date: September 09, 2011 07:15PM

Actually Roger you didn't mention putting a piece of blank inside. It was Tom who mentioned it after your post. All you said was to wrap it with thread then glue up the handle.

Lance

Date: September 09, 2011 07:27PM

Lance,
Well said and I stand corrected.
Roger

Posted by: Richard Coons (---.tampfl.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 09, 2011 11:22PM

First off, thank you everyone who responded! Second, I wish I would have never mentioned it was a mhx blank I was asking if it was a big deal if I had a few cracks in the blank at the butt. I didn’t mean for this to become a @#$%& contest. I have chosen to drive to Orlando tomorrow and swap it out for another bank and pick up some recoil guides.

Thanks again,

Richard

Date: September 10, 2011 02:22AM

Richard,
Enjoy. Glad that you could bring up the topic.
Roger

Posted by: john backos (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 10, 2011 11:46AM

I would send it back for the following reasons.

1. Just because you could see the cracks for a length of three inches, it doesn't conclusively prove that they don't extend further.
2. If the blank is defective, there is no way to know if there are cracks elsewhere on the blank that aren't visible.
3. The vendor has a right to examine the blank and log it in for QA/QC purposes. Any assistance we can provide to a vendor, is assistance to the rod building community in the manufacture of
higher quality products.
4. I wouldn't rest easy knowing the defect is there, especially if the blank is a client build.

Date: September 10, 2011 02:00PM

John,
It is only a fishing rod blank.
This is not important enough in the big scope of things to lose sleep over.

However, you do raise valid points and your advice is well spoken.

Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster