I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Carbon Fiber Rod Decal/Skin/Wrap
Posted by: Ryan Higgins (---.130.132.122.nwinternet.com)
Date: September 08, 2011 04:41PM

Basically looking for a Rod Skinz wrap in carbon fiber. I just got a pflueger patriarch spinning reel and want to wrap the split grip section of the rod I'm building for it in carbon fiber to match the reel. I havent been able to find anything really. This will be going on the butt end of a 3wt fly rod blank, so I'd like it to be as thin and light as possible. Dream UL combo :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Carbon Fiber Rod Decal/Skin/Wrap
Posted by: Don Morse (99.150.143.---)
Date: September 08, 2011 04:47PM

do a google search for "carbon fiber stickers" it brings up a bunch.

Posted by: Brandon Gay (---.dsl.crchtx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 08, 2011 04:48PM

Auto zone has a good selection of cool decals like that.

Posted by: Jess Brindisi (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 08, 2011 05:35PM

You can do a hydrodip/waterdip. I've seen a few rods done with this method.

Posted by: Casey Abell (96.28.123.---)
Date: September 08, 2011 09:13PM

hydrodip/waterdip

Is the technology out there to do this at home ??????

Date: September 08, 2011 09:13PM

hydrodip/waterdip

Is the technology out there to do this at home ??????

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 08, 2011 09:20PM

Yes, it was covered in an issue of RodMaker first of this year.

Date: September 09, 2011 11:53AM

Ohhh wow I didnt know it was out.... I remember watching the process on American Choppers several years ago and thought to myself " this will be able to be done at home soon. Its just a matter of time"

Do you purchase the transfer material and actually print it yourself or do you have to purchase preprinted material. It would be awsome if you could just print your own.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 09, 2011 12:54PM

The material comes in over 600 different patterns. It contains a special dye that you wouldn't be able to work with at home. However, you can do the dipping part in a tub of warm water, and that's the part you can do on your own. That's the part that costs you if you have it done commercially. The pattern films are fairly inexpensive.

Date: September 09, 2011 01:57PM

Thats awesome... I will look into it.. There are endless uses for this product

Posted by: mike harris (---.cluster-h.websense.net)
Date: September 09, 2011 04:30PM

A better way is to avoid decals or printing and use real carbon fiber. Use the carbon fiber sleeves like we use to make carbon skinned foam core grips and laminate it directly on the blank. I have done several rods that way for exactly the same reason, to match carbon fiber handles on reels. Using the sleeve you don’t have to worry about gaps or overlaps where the decal comes together, and no matter how good the decal is I don’t think it would look as good as the real thing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster