I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

tiger question
Posted by: David Teague (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: September 08, 2011 08:23AM

normally as most of yall know, I usually do cross wraps and never got into tiger wraps, wifey wants one on a rod im building for her. my question is how do you determine what color threads to use to get the desired effect? Im looking to have a red tiger wrap, so obviously red is one color...the other?

Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: tiger question
Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: September 08, 2011 08:51AM

Red would then be your top color thread. For the threads below you want something contrasting like black and white.

Posted by: Robert Hummel (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: September 08, 2011 09:38AM

I agree with the red on top but not sure about the bottom wrap. You want as much contrast as possible. I would do a couple test wraps on a dowel or old rod. Its kind of tricky. Your never really kow how it's going to look until you try a couple combinations. Also, several coats of finish over the bottom wrap before putting on the top wrap gives the tiger more flash and movement.

Posted by: Casey Abell (96.28.123.---)
Date: September 08, 2011 11:13AM

Can someone please explain to me how a tiger wrap even works... Im confused, as I hear people say you can see through threads etc...

Are you using special tread or something

I have never done a tiger wrap

thanks

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 08, 2011 11:33AM

This site "library" contains an article on tiger wraps.....read it.

Date: September 08, 2011 02:19PM

Okay so I read the article but still dont think I could do on. Is there a video somewhere that can watch?

Date: September 08, 2011 02:29PM

Nevermind I re-read the article and think I have the gist of it.... Im gonna try to experiment with some walmart thread and see what happens

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 08, 2011 02:32PM

Really the only way to learn how to do one, is to experiment and practice.. The instructions are quite clear, but it takes practice to get the tensions right and color combinations one wants to achieve the effects. Using a scrap blank piece or even a wooden dowel works for the practice/learning experience.

Posted by: Brandon Gay (---.dsl.crchtx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 08, 2011 02:50PM

I would use Madeira red and NCP A white bottom and Mad. red on top with size A sacrificial thread. Check the photo page for the one I just posted. It was maroon and white. The colors completely changed as the rod moved. I've done several with all size A threads as the article recomends, but never had this kind of movement. I think it had to do with the difference in size between Madeira and size A NCP. By far it is the coolest thing I have ever made.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 08, 2011 03:52PM

For the maximum effect, the bottom threads should be black and white, or black and yellow. That yields the greatest amount of contract. The top thread determines the overall color.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster