I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

double wraped guides?
Posted by: Paul Pollaccia (---.lv.lv.cox.net)
Date: September 07, 2011 11:41PM

Is there a method to wrapping your guides twice, besides tying the thread off and starting a new second wrap? I have been told I should wrap the guides twice, this is a class 20 to 30 pound rod. Any comments or suggestion welcomed. Thank you

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: double wraped guides?
Posted by: Herman Knott (---.gci.net)
Date: September 08, 2011 01:03AM

I build a lot of halibut rods be sure to put a under wrap on first and put cs on it then wrap eyes on using c or d thread.
haven't had one problem in 5 years.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns13.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: September 08, 2011 01:44AM

Hi Paul,
For 20-30lb I only use one overbind on an underbind. For 50lb and over I use two overbinds. Never had an issue with either. Use a coat of cp on he underbind to aid packing the overbind. You can put a coat of finsish between the two overbinds to get maximum strength but that's probably only necessary on rods over 100lb. For your rod I'd say one overbind would be sufficient provided you've got enough thread tension. You should be able to move the guides for alignment after binding but they shouldn't move easily.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: September 08, 2011 01:52AM

I have been doing this for over 30 years and there are few names for this one is called a double wrap and the other is called a triple wrap but both are the same thing and I will explain the two.
number one is the single wrap it is how most bass and fly rods are wrapped today as they are simply wrapped with one single thread and no under wrap like you will see on most river rods

The second wrap is called a double wrap it is simply a under wrap placed on the rod where the first guide will go then the guide is placed in the center of the under wrap and you wrap over the guide feet with D thread

the third type of wrap and what you are asking about is called a triple wrap and it consists of a under wrap with size A on the rod at the place of the guide then wrap the guide down on the under wrap with size C and the last wrap over the C thread with D thread being sure to wrap the D thread in the center of the C thread and leave some of the C thread showing on both sides so that you get three colors of thread showing

send me a email and I will send you a pic

Glennmc7@Gmail.com

Glenn McMurrian

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 08, 2011 07:46AM

Double overwrapping is common on rods of from 50lb class and up. If you do not wish to tie-off between the wraps, simply start the wrap off the foot of the guide, wrapping towards the ring. Once you reach the ring, push the thread back onto itself and continue wrapping. That will reverse the wrapping direction taking the thread back down towards and off the foot.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.sip.chs.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 08, 2011 08:08AM

If you're concerned about double over-wrapping only because you have told you need to, I would suggest you stop worrying about it and just stick with the single wrap. On a rod in the size class you suggest it simply is not needed. I will start to do double over-wraps when I get in the 50+ pound class...and not always then.

Underwrapping isn't a necessity either. Mostly just a personal preference thing.

Best of luck & don't overthink things.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: September 08, 2011 09:06AM

Paul, no offense but those west coast dudes will have you ending up with a ten ton battle stick. Between hypalon grips, big heavy duty guides, triple wraps, heavy duty aluminum reel seats and gimbals.....well you aren't doing yourself any favors.

I mean what is the point in building a rod you can't kill if it kills you to fish with it?

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2011 09:27AM by Russell Brunt.

Posted by: Robert Hummel (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: September 08, 2011 09:46AM

I agree that on a 20-30 # outfit you would not need to douple the wrap holding the eye in place. If I'm doing something really light I will skip the underwrap but generally I do an underwrap with a very light coat of finish and then wrap the guide on with a single layer of thread. Cover with finish and you are good to go.

Posted by: Casey Abell (96.28.123.---)
Date: September 09, 2011 12:01PM

Is there a benefit to under wrapping other than astetics????

Posted by: Ted Metzger (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 09, 2011 12:55PM

Those of us on the west coast, wrap the rods we use , the way we do, for one reason only...durability over a long period of time, where the rods are abused heavily while fishing and then must stand further abuse in the racks on long range trips. If you've never fished in this area, you obviously wouldn't understand why we "overbuild".

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster