I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Removing bubbles
Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (---.altnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 07, 2011 08:07PM

I developed some bubbles in my finish. I used a brush and tried not to brush the finish on, but only sort of pour it and spread it over the wrap. Anyway, I tried sanding bubbles off one time on another build and it just made things worse. The bubbles were gone, but the residue stuck to the finish. I could use some guidance.
Thanks,
Bruce

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Removing bubbles
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 07, 2011 08:08PM

Has the finish already set?

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 07, 2011 08:37PM

Bruce,
If the buildup is bad enough, you may have to strip off the finish, wraps and guides and start over. It depends on the situation.
From the sound of your post, is sounds like you sanded before the finish was set and you now have a "goo" covered rod?

Roger

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 07, 2011 10:27PM

A light finish releases them better then a high build or heavy finish

What finish are you using How did you apply it I always load it on then let the blank stop and get rid of any drips

Cooler area works better then a hot area - The finish stays wet longer for the bubbles to release

Did you use a CP on the thread

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: September 07, 2011 10:32PM

Next time you pour a clear bubble free finish onto a wrap, be sure to babysit the wrap for up to 2 hours as the finish sets any air trapped within all thread wraps with try to make a last gasp run to the surface before it gets encapsulated in a tomb....If "I " was a molecule of air that had a thin vicuous material poured on me, I'd go for the surface ASAP,...... if I was a stubborn pocket of air, I'd start scrambling for life as the viscuos material was getting warmer and thicker, and in strangulation mode, and I'd be a big azz bubble that might burst into a foaming froath of madness.....Picture the air pocket and what IT would do...then as a rodbuilder use the tools given by others to defend your problem....CO2, torch, bubble buster, bic, dont care..."I'm MJ the air bubble", try to seal me in!!!!!....but I might not give up til my outward force is overcome by your inward force. Watch me before you trap me...Im an air bubble.

MJ

NERB that types with a bar of Ivory soap in his mouth.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2011 10:40PM by Michael Joyce.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.sip.chs.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 08, 2011 08:10AM

Michael.......put the bottle down you're embarrassing yourself.

LOL

Posted by: Robert Hummel (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: September 08, 2011 09:52AM

Depending how many bubbles I usuallu try to "cut" them off with a razor blade after the finish as set up. If I have a lot of bubbles I cut them out and then sand with 200-600 grit, clean very carefully and recoat with finish. If I get a lot of bubbles I try to figure out why before I refinish. My experience is that the less I mess with it, the better off I am when it comes to putting on finish.

Date: September 08, 2011 10:04AM

You may have to re-wrap

The next time try thinning the first coat of finish as it will soak into the thread and release bubbles a lot better then another coat after that sets with a regular coat

Bill - willierods.com

Date: September 08, 2011 06:29PM

Thanks again for all of your help. When today rolled around it wasn't as bad as I thought. I used a razor blade, removed several bubbles and put a thin coat of finish to it. It appears to be just fine now. Not a masterpiece, but not a disaster either. I used TM Lite. I think I may have made the bubbles by picking up my brush and putting it back down instead of using one, straight drag across the wrap. It seems every build brings a new lesson to me. I was so frustrated last night I nearly made a vow to quit building rods. Something keeps pulling me back, though.

Posted by: Robert Gilbertson (---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date: September 08, 2011 06:30PM

As your rod is turning watch for bubbles to form. Most bubbles can be removed using heat. I have seen a cigarette lighter used, a heat gun or any other heat producing instrument. The important thing to remember is not to get real close with an open flame as you can burn the finish. I prefer to use a drinking straw to gently blow warm air directly on the bubble causing it to break and leave a very smooth bubble free finish. If you wait too long after the finish is applied it will be set up and will not work, so you need to do this within about the first thirty minutes after the finish is applied.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 08, 2011 09:11PM

Robert,
I completely agree that "gentle" heat will remove most bubbles if they have not become encapsulated into a semi hardened finish.
I dislike the use of an open flame due to the possible overheating effect.
Rather a heat gun works better for me with less damage of overheating.

Roger

Date: September 08, 2011 10:21PM

Would holding the finish too close to an open flame cause bubbles?

Date: September 09, 2011 10:48AM

i far as I am concerned - yes if you get it too hot any air in the finish will expand

Blowing though a straw or a hair dryer with light heat

Some finishes don't like any heat at all and will fill with micro bubbles

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster