I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: load test
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 08, 2011 06:00PM

That would certainly do it, but not necessarily enough to really bother your spacing to any degree that is going to really foul anything up. However, it's a good point worth remembering.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Bruce Kemp (---.dhcp.jcsn.tn.charter.com)
Date: September 08, 2011 09:08PM

Jim how,if you have your rod at 45deg. do you know when your 90deg. to the butt with the tip?Do you just look at it and when its close and some bend in the lower third call it good or do you measure some way?If I have it horizontal,I can tell if its pointing straight down.Probably a dumb question but I dont know is why Im asking. Thanks

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: September 09, 2011 07:10AM

Bruce keep in mind that if it is horizontal it can never bend more than 90 degrees no matter how much you load it. When set at 45 degrees it makes it a little easier to judge when you are getting into the danger zone. I set my holder a little less but I'm in complete agreement with Jim. In a real situation, between gunnel and rail height, it is hard not to go past horizontal. For me it simulates actual fishing conditions better.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: September 09, 2011 09:52AM

I have to admit it's an "eyeball" thing but it's very easy to visualize a right angle above the rod and then skooch the weight and adjust the slack until all looks right. I suppose that sounds a little unscientific for some builders, but as I mentioned, we look for a RANGE of performance. If we set up at 42-degrees or 49-degrees it's won't make a smidgen of difference in how the rod performs under load IMO. What we need to hang onto is the fact that even a bad static load set up is better than progressively spaced guides that pay absolutely no attention to rod characteristics.

Russ makes a very good point. In the "forever 90" horizontal set up you get 90-degrees no matter what. With a weight on the floor I can quickly check any bend I want by simply moving the weight.

I suppose it's a good thing they call this "custom" rod building!

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: September 09, 2011 11:30AM

JIm, could you be presauded to discuss some of the "signs" that you are reaching the upper limit of the blank? I suppose I should try and ask more but I feel weird emailing a company and asking how much weight I can hang off their blank. Sometimes I have things that cost a little too much to risk breaking:)

For me I start noticing where a little more weight starts to stop making any change in the bend. I also pay attention to what I hear. Hard to explain but a little like "creaking timbers" and knowing it's getting stressed.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: September 09, 2011 12:09PM

Lot's of people here more qualified than me for such a discussion, Russ. You're concerned with an angler standing at a rail in hundreds of feet of water...the "Big Pull". I seldom take a rod to the brink of destruction. All my load testing is done for guide placement although bending into the lower third is a pretty hefty pull. I don't envy you having to consider that on the rods you build. Where I stop bending you need to keep going...scary. Thinking about it for the sake of discussion you might create a 1/4 rule for yourself. Where I would try to bend into the lower 1/3 (which would be around 28 inches from the butt of a 7 ft rod) you might want to get your bend into the lower 1/4 (which would be around 21 inches on a 7 foot rod). 6 more inches on a big rod might take a whopping amount of weight, I don't know, but somewhere in there you might be able to establish a formula without having to make your blanks "creak". Test my idea on some of your best blanks and let me know how it goes;)

Posted by: Bruce Kemp (---.dhcp.jcsn.tn.charter.com)
Date: September 09, 2011 02:36PM

So,if I start with my rod horizontal ,and tie to a movable weight on the floor,and flex to 90deg. to the butt,with a little bend in the lower 1/3,tie it off and place my guides where they need to be,I could then untie and move my rod up to 45deg. or whatever,scoot my weight out ,retie to my weight and put more or less 90 deg bend to the butt,with a little bend in the lower 1/3 and readjust my guides if needed and have a pretty well placed guidetrain that would take into account ,at least to more extent,more of the positions seen when actually fishing.Am I on the right track? Sorry to have hijacked this thread but I try not to let people that know get away easy.lol Thanks

Date: September 09, 2011 02:46PM

Choose one Bruce. Either will work and both will give the same results. 45 might help your "fight position imagination" a little more and let you change bends easily if you want to test slightly different angles. Horizontal will guarantee true 90 degrees regardless of load (provided you keep the weight off the floor). As with all things in rod building, we've reached the personal preference point!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster