I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

what now?
Posted by: Dean Bledsoe (---.skybest.com)
Date: September 06, 2011 11:05PM

I purchased a 5 ft. 2pc. rod blank at the ICRBE this past Feb. Being green as I was, I thought about building this as a short fly rod for hiking back into the mountains and fishing for small mountain trout. However, I done the CCS this evening and come up with 50 dead Lincolns. ERN 6.35 AA 60. Not exactly enthused about building a 6 or 7 wt. 5ft. brook trout fly rod. Any ideas on what weight lure(mepps spinner?) this blank will throw as a spinning rod? Should have known when the butt section was considerably bigger than 6'6" 2 wt. I built.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: what now?
Posted by: Bill Hanneman (---.lightspeed.mtryca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 07, 2011 04:31PM

Why not build the fly rod? Weight (ounces) really isn't a problem unless you are severely anemic and are going to hike 100 miles. Simply string it up with an AFTMA 8 or 10 line and it will feel like a bamboo rod.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 07, 2011 05:29PM

Using an 8 or 10 wt line for mountain Brook Trout, would be like using a Tarpon Rod for Blue Gill !

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: September 07, 2011 05:46PM

Dean,
A 6.35 ERN translates to roughly a 3/8 ounce lure rating.

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Posted by: Dean Bledsoe (---.skybest.com)
Date: September 07, 2011 07:52PM

Thanks George! Mind telling me where I can find a chart, ect?

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: September 07, 2011 10:13PM

Divide ERN by 16 to determine lure rating in ounces. I read it here on this site.

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 07, 2011 10:19PM

No, that isn't it. It's rod rating numerator by 16 but even that isn't going to be accurate because the rod ratings aren't based on any type of standardized system. One company's 4-weight rod is the next company's 6-weight rod.

Get a copy of the Rosetta Stone (I may have it on the library page here) or read the URRS system chart.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 07, 2011 11:31PM

Put the line rating over -- 16 and that will get you at least in the Ball park

If you want a 2 wt fly -- 2 over 16 -- about -- 1/8 lure weight

But remember - nothing is written in stone

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 07, 2011 11:32PM

Put the line rating over -- 16 and that will get you at least in the Ball park

If you want a 2 wt fly -- 2 over 16 -- about -- 1/8 lure weight

But remember - nothing is written in stone

I wish it was -- it would make it easy to pick a blank

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bill Hanneman (---.lightspeed.mtryca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 08, 2011 12:15AM

Phil Erickson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Using an 8 or 10 wt line for mountain Brook Trout, would be like using a Tarpon Rod for Blue Gill !
----------------------
I believe you exagerate a bit.
When fishing for mountain brook trout, the problem is not related to the weight (strength, ERN) of the rod, since one really doesn't fish for these little trout for the thrill of the fight they put up. The problem is getting the fly line out about 10 feet. Don't forget, the end of the fly line is some 8 or more feet from the fish and line splash is of little concern.
Of course if it is indeed the fight you seek, by all means get yourself a 00 wt.

On the other hand, simply build your blank as a spinning rod, and if you want to fly fish with it, put on the heavy flyline and go to it. A Rod is A Rod is A Rod. The only significant difference between an ERN=6 spinning rod and an ERN=6 fly rod is the former has a CCF of over 90 and the latter has a CCF of only about 80. That reduction can be easily accomplished by use of the heavier line.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster