I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tiger wrap success
Posted by: Brandon Gay (---.dsl.crchtx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 06, 2011 06:58PM

I've done several Tigers before, but this is the first that I got actual movement. And it's big time so I thought I'd share. You can watch the bull's eyes shift between the two colors as you tilt the rod. I used white NCP size A and dark maroon Madeira for base and CP'd. Then one coat FC lite, 2 coats FC high build. Top wrap was the same Madiera CP'd and size A sacrificial. As I said, I've done several and they come out cool, but never had any color change. I think it was the difference in size in the base threads.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tiger wrap success
Posted by: Casey Abell (96.28.123.---)
Date: September 06, 2011 07:19PM

can you post a pic???

Date: September 06, 2011 07:37PM

Photo uploaded, just cant see the color movement. As you tilt the rod, the maroon becomes white and vice versa.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2011 08:10PM by Brandon Gay.

Posted by: Adam Curtis (74.7.62.---)
Date: September 06, 2011 07:48PM

THAT there Brandon is a great Tiger Wrap. Awesome job dude!

Posted by: Dave Loren (---.prvdri.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 06, 2011 08:22PM

Nice Job! It makes a great look when you do use two very contrasting colors. Your finish coat looks great also.

Posted by: Casey Abell (96.28.123.---)
Date: September 06, 2011 09:00PM

That is cool.... I wasnt even aware what a tiger wrap was and now im hooked.. I gotta do one of those

Posted by: Paul Pollaccia (---.lv.lv.cox.net)
Date: September 06, 2011 09:56PM

I want to do one too. Awesome job!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 06, 2011 10:03PM

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Bryce Abbott (---.lightspeed.wchtks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 09, 2011 10:13PM

Is this a "big rod" wrap or has anyone tried this on something as small as a fly rod or spinning rod?
I have looked a the Photo section and it seems that most people do this on larger rods.

Bryce Abbott
Go & Do Likewise

Date: September 11, 2011 01:24PM

This wrap was done on a Batson XP 903. I'd say it is less than half inch in diameter. I've never done one on a large blank, but I'd figure it would take an awful lot of thread. Every 4 passes would be 1 foot of thread on a one inch blank. That's a lot of passes per inch of blank, but it would look cool.

Posted by: Bryce Abbott (---.lightspeed.wchtks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 12, 2011 09:41PM

I practiced it. I am going to put a tiger wrap on a rod that I am going to build for a niece. Spinning rod, Pink blank. I am going to use black and white on the bottom and hot pink on the top. The twist will be the white on the bottom is glow in the dark. She is 11. It should be pretty cool. Do you the tiger on the guide wraps too?

Bryce Abbott
Go & Do Likewise

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster