I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

More finish issues
Posted by: Brandon Gay (---.dsl.crchtx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 06, 2011 12:42PM

I'm getting my finishing technique honed in, but it seems each try brings up new issues. This time, I got cloudy finish in areas and shiny in others. More cloudy than shiny. Here's what I did. It is an open chevron wrap that I put the first coat of finish on a couple of days ago. Today I trimmed tag ends and lightly sanded with 2000 grit and proceeded to apply thin 2nd coat. It seems in the areas I didn't sand the thread seems shinier. It looks like only a small area around the tie off wrap. Now I just applied it so I don't know what it will dry like, but my guess is the same. Now I have sanded before and never seen a difference. I just lightly scuffed, no way I got the threads. I then wiped down with DNA. I'm not using heat anymore except to wick off excess so to blow the bubbles out I used a straw. Could moisture from your breath cause it? Or maybe the DNA wasn't completely dried. I waited a few minutes and only wiped it down with a moist coffee filter. This is an open wrap, so if I have to re-do, will I be able to go back with an open wrap. I haven't had luck striping down without scuffing the blank.

One more question, do ya'll CP over decals. I'm using the college ones from MH. The last one I CP'd just on the decal, which I place on top of finished black thread and it clouded where I CP'd and was really noticeable on black.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: More finish issues
Posted by: Duane Richards (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: September 06, 2011 01:03PM

If you sand, dont "spot" sand. It can show on the next coat. Sand the entire area and recoat, or better yet just take a razor blade and shave/trim out your issue then recoat.

DR

Date: September 06, 2011 01:18PM

So if you sand, do you use that original luster or should I have sanded with coarser paper?

Posted by: Matt Wegener (---.um.maine.edu)
Date: September 06, 2011 01:28PM

Hi Brandon,
I'm with Duane on this. Shaving imperfections out of the first coat of epoxy works great for me. I put on my second coat of epoxy within 24hrs and have not had any issues or needed to sand the first coat of epoxy. One thing that might help if you have to strip the wrap and epoxy off is to break a CD in half and then use that to scrape the finish off after pulling off the threads. Hope this helps,
Matt

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 06, 2011 02:02PM

Never perform a wipe with a solvent prior to recoating. That may well be part of your problem.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: September 06, 2011 02:51PM

If you sand I advise you wet sand. Little specks of sanded epoxy can get embedded and mess things up. Wet sanding prevents that. 400 grit is smooth enough.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: September 06, 2011 04:00PM

I appreciate the answers, I just took the rod out in the sun and it is barely noticeable. Under fluorescent light you could really tell though. Still not sure why it did this though. Learn as you go and absorb as much info as possible and some say I'll get it right every time. On the up side, my tiger wrap with white NCP and maroon madeira under and maroon madeira over came out so good it really hurts your eyes to stare at it to long.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 06, 2011 05:55PM

Any time I sand using 400 I then wipe with a paper towel and just dampen it with my tong then dry with a dry towel -- well --

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 06, 2011 06:44PM

Brandon,

The reason why is an easy one: you knocked off the shine with the sandpaper, then re-coated, so now you have lost DEPTH in only one area: the sanded area.

DR

Date: September 06, 2011 07:00PM

I thought that if you waited a couple of day's before adding 2nd coat, you were supposed to rough up the surface before adding more finish.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 06, 2011 09:56PM

As Mr Kirkman suggested, don't apply ANY solvent to a rod between coatings of rods.
I also dislike sanding between coats as well.

However, to answer your question directly, I had an issue with a wrap a few months ago and I had to do some heavy duty changes to the finish as well as to the wrap. I had no choice but to clean up the blank with DNA after doing the heavy duty changes.

In my case, the resulting finish was so bad that I ended up completely removing the wraps, and all coatings and started over. This time, there was no solvent on the blank before doing the wraps and the finish came out just fine.

So, my suspicion is with the DNA on the finish between coats. I rather suspect that the issue was not the waiting time of the DNA to dry, but actually an absorption of the DNA into the not fully cured first coat of finish. Hence the resulting look.
And, as Matt suggested - if this is in fact the case, the only solution is to strip the wraps off of the rod and start over.

Roger

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 06, 2011 09:58PM

p.s.
If some dust has gotten on a finish between coats, I will use the blue masking tape to tack off the finish. I have done this many times with 0 issues.
But I have had multiple issues if I try to use DNA between coats.

Roger

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: September 07, 2011 01:35PM

Brandon, you should scuff up the area to be re-coated if your finish has set more than a couple days, yes, you are correct.

Big difference in scuffing up ALL of the area and sanding one spot only.

Most of the time you'll only see the lack of depth on a very dark background.

If you sand it all, it will all look the same when re-coated.

DR

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 08, 2011 12:33AM

hate to say but I only sand any dirt or nibs on any of my first coatings usually just after the next day Then tack the wraps off and put another coat on

Never had a problem ????

Bill - willierods.com

Date: September 08, 2011 07:33PM

I'm with you. Bill, I have sanded/filed lumps down before and never had an issue. I guess it was the use of DNA. But that brings up a question, what do you use to wipe down before applying 2nd coat of fnish. I had always wiped with DNA if I had to handle the finish to get oils from my skin off. I don't ever remember having an issue though. Is it possible this time the DNA wasn't dry and didn't allow the 2nd coat to bond correctly?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster