I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Minima or Alconite guides for a finesse casting rod?
Posted by: Tom Lusis (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: September 05, 2011 05:21PM

Hello all,

I am putting together a finesse casting rod for stream smallmouth and cannot decide between Minima or Fuji Alconite micro guides. I would be using a 6'6" rod with 8-10 pound mono, and casting small spinner baits and minnow crank-baits.

I usually use the Fuji guides and haven't tried the Minimas yet (but have read a lot of good reviews). Does one guide style work better for mono lines?

I am also curious about reel choices. So far the Quantum Smoke 150 or BassPro Carbonlite are the two front runners. Does anyone know of other small/light casting reels which work well with 1/8-1/4 baits?

thanks,
Tom.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Minima or Alconite guides for a finesse casting rod?
Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: September 05, 2011 05:46PM

Tom,

Finesse casting rods are why I stated building rods. What blank do you have in mind? In my opinion the blank is a far more critical choice when looking at a finesse casting outfit than the reel. Virtually all of the typical bass sized reels today are capable casting the stuff I use on the river.

Guide brand really boils down to personal preference. I haven't heard anything negative about the minimas. They may be able to save you a bit of weight in the tip section, and that is always a good thing. Personally I'm fond of the Batson and Alps designs, but I've never met a guide available to custom builders that I didn't like.

The reels I'm using offered a lot of bang for the buck when I bought them, and have served me well for years now. I reels I use on my finesse rods are older Shimanos, specifically the Curado 100b, and Citica 100DSV (essentially the same reel with a couple minor differences). The only real requirements that I have when choosing a finesse reel are a line capacity of roughly 100 yds. of 12lb. mono and a weight under 8oz. Extra line capacity just serves as a source of inertia, and inertia is a bad thing when casting light lures. I also prefer reels with a deep spool (another inertia related argument) for finesse casting, unless the reel has a magnesium spool, but my pockets aren't that deep. The Carbonlite looks like a steal, but I haven't got to handle one yet. It is high on my list of reels to look at when I need a new one.

Joe

Date: September 05, 2011 06:47PM

Hi Joe,

The blank is a SJ782-2-MHX. The specs are two-piece, 6'6" 6-12 line, fast action +medium light. The listed uses include twitch baits, rattle baits, drop shot and live bait. I'll be using it out of a Poke Boat (a canoe/kayak hybrid) or when wading.

Also thanks for the advice about the reels. I was considering the 2011 Curado 50e - always been a Shimano fan - but it looks as though it would be lob-sided with the size of the handle section in comparison to the rest of the reel body. That being said, I have only seen them on-line and have yet to handle one.

thanks,
Tom.

Posted by: Matt Ruggie (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: September 05, 2011 09:49PM

personally, I'd go w/ the SJ781 for the 1/8-1/4 oz. baits and small streams. It has more power than my St Croix SCV s66MLF, also built as a caster. I built one as a finesse casting rod for river smallies and love this rod. I like it enough that I think I'll be building another on their HM SJ781 blank in the future.

I wouldn't consider the smoke a finesse reel. The carbonlite w/ the dual breaking would be my choice of the 2 but I've never handle it. The 50e would work too I'm sure as would the older 100 sized curado b's and d's. From holding the 50e it palms better than the older 100 b's and d's too IMO. If you have the extra cash to drop get a Daiwa pixy, SWEET finesse casters.

I'm doing 2 rods right now 1 w/ fuji alconite's and 1 w/ minimas. I haven't used the minimas yet so the jurys still out for me, but they are light. They are actually nicer than I thought they'd be. JFYI I'm using size 5 alconites and size 4 minimas and they are real close in size. Seems like you can drop down in size w/ the minimas b/c of the thinner metal ring.

As Joe said these rods are why I started building my own too, you just are to limited in the light to ML of the rack casting rod category.

Matt

Posted by: Gary Snyder (12.77.249.---)
Date: September 06, 2011 12:57AM

I would go with the ceramic alconite guides... I tested a metal guide years ago by sawing a piece of mono back and forth through the guide ring by hand... with just a few passes, the eight pound mono melted to flat ribbon. The same test on a Fuji Hardloy guide had no noticeable effect on the line. Ceramic guides replaced metal guides in popularity decades ago, and I can see why.

I prefer Daiwa and Quantum casting reels. I like the Quantum Smoke. It's light weight and price makes it a winner, especially for finesse fishing.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 06, 2011 03:18AM

Tom,
My favorite inexpensive guide is by far the minima guide. I have built many rods using these series of guides and have had 0 complaints either with the guides or line issues with the rods using these guides.
My 2nd choice for a guide would be the alconite guide as you have pointed out in your post. Again, 0 issues with these guides either. i.e. no guide or line issues with the alconite guides.

The minima guides do not have the same wear factor as the stainless guides of years ago had. But, it is really your choice.

Normally, when I think Finesse - I think spinning rod; rather than a casting rod. But if you want to build it as a casting rod - go ahead. When you are running line of this size on this blank it is pretty tough to beat any of the blanks mentioned above when built up as a spinning rod for doing the things that you want to do with the rod. But again, it is your choice.

Good fishing.
Roger

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (131.123.18.---)
Date: September 06, 2011 10:06AM

Tom,

That should make a nice rod for what you have in mind. My finesse casting rods are all Batson blanks, an ISJ781, RX8+822.5, and RX8+823. The 1 power spin jig blank is just a tad short power for anything but open hook lures. I've used it with some success for weightless plastics, but I found myself wanting a bit more in the mid and butt sections to set the hook. Perhaps the MHX spin jig blanks have a bit more in the butt section, and by looking at the specs, that may well be the case. While the action of the one power spin jig is fast, the mid section of the blank is still pretty soft, resulting in a blank that works surprisingly well for light cranks.

The 822.5 and 823 are incredible blanks. The tips are limber enough to throw virtually all of the light stuff, but they have a impressive amount of power in the mid and butt sections. They are the two most versatile blanks I use. They aren't the best crank bait blanks, but the 822.5 will work in a pinch when I'm wading or walking the bank with one rod. For similar blanks in the MHX line, take a look at the drop shot and spinner bait blanks. I use the 822.5 and 823 for swimming grubs and tubes, top waters (including super spook jrs.), spinnerbaits, light Texas rigs and skirted jigs (usually 1/8oz. weight plus plastics), drop shot, shaky head, 1/8-1/4oz. buzz baits, and weightless plastics. There isn't much that I do that these blanks couldn't handle short of large plastics with heavier weights and flipping or pitching nasty cover.

The Curado 50 sounds like a real winner, but I haven't handled one of the newer revisions where the HEG gear box sits so far below the reel foot either. Good luck with the build, and be sure to let us know what you think of your finesse casting rod after you've fished it a few times.

Joe

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: September 06, 2011 10:51AM

While I don't know much about finesse fishing, I do know Shimano reels. You'll really like that Curado 50 but you might like the Chronarch 50E even better. I'd check both out before I bought one.

Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 06, 2011 12:43PM

Curado is Sweet and Alconite would be my choice by far.

Tight Lines and Bull's-eyes,

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com
www.facebook.com/GetBitOutdoors

Date: September 06, 2011 06:13PM

Thanks for all of the input and suggestions in terms of guides, blanks and reels. I'll update you with the results of the build once I have the rod completed.

best,
Tom.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 06, 2011 06:46PM

Alconite by FAR

DR

Posted by: Matt Ruggie (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: September 06, 2011 08:05PM

Take a close look and do a google search, the curado 50E and the "new" chronarch 50E are just about the same reel. Curado can be had for much cheaper. As for the dropped down gear case, they are very comfortable and lower palming profile , so much that the older reels feel funny.

Joe Van.
My first thought when the MHX SJ781 blank arrived was that it was a little more powerful than I expected, but I never ran any numbers on a blank before. Maybe its time I learned LOL. For the record I use it for small light jerks and cranks like you mentioned.

Matt

Date: September 06, 2011 10:00PM

Duane,
You use the verbage:
"Alconite by far."

Have you had any issues with any minima guides that you have wrapped on rods? I never have, that is why I am asking.

Roger

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: September 07, 2011 10:54AM

Roger,
Gary's line friction test is still viable with the Minima guides, done it many times myself. When Berkeley built their heavy salmon rods on these guides, I changed many a rod back to ceramics due to grooving.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: September 07, 2011 01:42PM

Roger,

There is a difference in the Minima 3 and the 4. I cant remember which, but one of them carry's a rather semi-sharp edge on one side of the guide that I didn't care for at all.

To me it just makes sense to go with the slickest and better material. I have never liked a steel ring, why use steel when you know there are better materials? And, even though spectra lines may? or may not? wear the guide ring, the stainless steel is still very hard on the line itself abrasion wise.

DR

Date: September 07, 2011 09:00PM

Duane,
I agree that I will NOT use a Minima 3 guides due to the sharp edge. But I have found no issue with the Minima 4.

From a theoretical standpoint, the argument about using a slicker guide makes sense.

But, from a usage standpoint, I am not so sure that you can see an actual performance or handling issue, or for that matter - a wear issue.

I suppose that the guides can wear, but I personally have not seen that happen with any guide that I have used- including the minima's.

Roger

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: September 08, 2011 04:15PM

Roger,

The wear will happen to your LINE, and with expensive braids it's not a good thing! :-) Guide wear may never happen.

DR

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 09, 2011 08:32AM

I beleave the 3's are the ones with the sharp edge

better be right I have just ordered a bunch of 4's

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.static.rvsd.ca.charter.com)
Date: September 09, 2011 10:44PM

Whoa....what sharp edge on the 3s?

Mo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster