I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Switch rod handle ?
Posted by: Bill Giokas (---.bstnma.btas.verizon.net)
Date: September 04, 2011 02:44PM

I plan on building a swith rod and know the length of both the foregrip and rear grip. My question is how critical is the placement of the reel seat placement between those dimensions? Should I contact the manufacture and ask them this question? Thanks Bill

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Switch rod handle ?
Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 04, 2011 03:37PM

What exactly is your question?

Posted by: Bill Giokas (---.bstnma.btas.verizon.net)
Date: September 04, 2011 04:29PM

Ok if I make the handles the same dimensions as the rod calls for then the placement of the reel seat between the foregrip and the rear grip should be correct and will properly balance the rod? Is this correct?

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 04, 2011 08:26PM

I suggest you first find out how you want the rod to balance.
That means testing different rods or different set ups of the one you are making.
Do you want the rod to tip up .. slightly or a lot... when you hold it in one hand?
Or do you want it to point down to one degree or another?
Once you find out the balance that suits you best you can then go about creating it.

Obviously the length and weight of the blank and components will play a part.
It's always best to keep a rod as light as possible.. so keep that in mind.
Lighter weight guides make sense... especially toward the tip.

Then if you need to add weight at the butt there are weighted butt caps or other means to do so.
Small amounts of weight at the butt won't diminish rod effectiveness much but a lot of weight will.

I doubt if commercial rod companies even concern themselves with rod balance.

Who determines what length grips the rod "calls for"?
If it's your rod why not make it just the way you like best.

Are you copying a factory rod? Why not use that as your guide and then fine tune it to your own preferences?

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.capoc.army.mil)
Date: September 06, 2011 02:57PM

It also depends on WHAT you make the handle out of. I fish a lot of my switch rods with older Hardy reels which are heavy compared to the newer alum reels. The handle material also plays a big roll.

I balance my rod "tip high" the way I like it on the swing. This is easy as most of my lowers are wood and my reels are hardy. This is the way I like it not somebody else. That is the reel issue. Do what you like BUT REMEMBER when you fish the rod you will have line out of the guides an drag on it from the current which will play into how the rod balances!!!!!!

Good luck.

Eric

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 06, 2011 05:23PM

The handles (or grips) have more to do with casting, then with balance. The main grip (fore?) needs to be long enough to use as both a single handed or double, the rear only long enough to give one a good grip when double handed. Once you have determined the length of each to fit your needs, the reel seat location is without any other option, it must be between the two.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2011 06:16PM by Phil Erickson.

Posted by: Bill Giokas (---.bstnma.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 07, 2011 05:56AM

Ok, so the reel seat is not that critical to the overall performance of the rod. I have the dimensions of the fore and aft grip from the manufacture and it shouldn't be a problem. Thanks Bill

Posted by: david mastrude (---.dhcp.reno.nv.charter.com)
Date: October 03, 2011 05:01AM

I like the Batson HK17 [?] set up.$50 =/- for all the cork,aluminum reel seat,check.
The forward handle is the perfect length for an 11' rod,nice grade too.
Real seat is adequate but maybe a bit "cheesy"for some.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster