I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

EVA Help
Posted by: Robert Hummel (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: September 04, 2011 11:07AM

I have an EVA foregrip that slides into place (tightly, without epoxy). In other words the I.d. of the EVA is 1/2 in and the diamater of the blank where it goes is approximately 1/2 in also. Will expoxy hold the grip tightly in place or do I need to try to find a smaller ID. foregrip? I've never run into this situtation before. Normally, I have the opposit problem and have always had to force the grip into place.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: EVA Help
Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 04, 2011 11:14AM

If it fits tightly you'll be fine, if you're worried, run a length of thread where the grip sits.

DR

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 04, 2011 11:17AM

Robert,
You will be fine. Just as long as you have a reasonable fit of the EVA over the blank you will be in good shape. There is no need to stretch the EVA to have it hold up just fine for a grip.

Roger

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 04, 2011 12:24PM

Put a layer of thread, or a couple of bands of masking tape, this way it fits snugly in place. If it's loose on a dry fit there is a good chance it will be loose after oyu epoxy it (it all depends on how well you do epoxying it, not knowing that I suggest a snug fit)

Date: September 04, 2011 12:37PM

Thanks for the quick responses. Seems so simple but I never thought about putting down a layer of theard or tape.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 05, 2011 08:58AM

Don't completely cover the blank if you use tape Leave gaps in it so the epoxy holds onto the blank and not just the tape.Lightly sand the blank for good adhesion

Maybe 1/4" tape

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2011 08:59AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 05, 2011 11:27AM

Issue you may run into with the tape is the EVA rolling it over when you slide on the grip causing a bump. For that reason I never use tape under EVA, only thread. As long as the grip has enough interference to to keep it centered it will be fine. Inlayed grips need to fit pretty close to perfect as if you stretch them too much the will break apart.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Date: September 06, 2011 12:44AM

I thought about the tape rolling up and put thread on the blank. Worked like a charm. Thanks again for the suggestions.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster