I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What is the Best Bargain EVER
Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 01, 2011 08:42AM

It's not a motorized Epoxy Finish Mixer for $36.
Not even a $200 blank marked down to $30.
No.

Hands down the single most valuable item available today to the rod building community is:

RodMaker Magazine.

I have believed this to be the case ever since receiving my first issue in 2002.
Then a few days ago I decided to look through my RM collection
for all articles pertaining to the use of a wood lathe in rod building.

A few minutes of skimming through my collection yielded a treasure trove of 12 articles.
Each one has a detailed explanation with photos literally walking us through the steps of some unique process specific to custom rod building.
Where else could one find such information?
How long would it take to search it out?

I hope you're beginning to appreciate my point.

Whether it's about lathe use or rare wraps or some other aspect of the craft... RodMaker consistently presents us with in depth coverage of new methods, techniques and applications.

Then, as if that wasn't enough, the magazine itself is changing for the better.
The new full color format is stunning and brings with it a hefty feel thanks to the heavy glossy paper.

The net result is that we have access to a goldmine of information covering just about any aspect of the craft we love
in a beautiful package at a price which defies belief.

I am frankly stunned by the fact that many who frequent this Forum do not take advantage of this great resource.

For any newbies out there I strongly suggest making a subscription to RodMaker your first investment in the craft. You'll be glad you did.

It is truly the best bargain in rod building... EVER!

David Gilberg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Disclaimer: I am not, nor have ever been, an employee of RodMaker Magazine and this email was my own idea.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What is the Best Bargain EVER
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 01, 2011 09:27AM

RodMaker magazine is truley a fine value and it keeps getting better and better! I could go on and on like a late night infomercial but I will stop and just say that if you build rods you will enjoy RMM.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Chad Huderle (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: September 01, 2011 09:41AM

Agree 100%. I subscribed a couple years ago and one of the first things I did was purchase all back issues to volume 10 and the CD with volumes 2 through 9. Truly a wealth of information.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Posted by: Bill Tune (---.wasco-inc.com)
Date: September 01, 2011 02:17PM

I think I may have every issue published! More than once I have had one opened on the rod bench for reference. I agree anyone that finds this site a good source would get more from the magazine. My only problem with it is that I usually have read every article in two days!

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: September 01, 2011 02:58PM

Bill Tune

I thought I had all of the issues published too.

I found out the first two issues were not released to the public.

It still make for an out standing collection.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 01, 2011 03:02PM

David,
That definitely would have been my answer with the ICRBE second!!!!I have a sortable/searchable index in Excel for RM that can be easily updated and kept current if you want a copy. It makes it reall easy to find a subject or article

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2011 03:04PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 01, 2011 03:04PM

The first two issues were released to the public, but the magazine was not very well known at the time of its beginning so most, but not all, of those first 3 or 4 issues went to industry people. Occasionally you'll see the first couple turn up on @#$%& sites, although they seem to sell for exorbitant amounts.

Thanks for the nice comments.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 01, 2011 04:49PM

No I Believe this Site is the Second Best! There are times you can post a Question and have your answer in MINUTES!

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.static.rvsd.ca.charter.com)
Date: September 04, 2011 01:40AM

Best bargain ever is getting Rodmaker as a gift subscription....:)

Mo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster