I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spinning: MICRO Choke Size?
Posted by: Mo Yang (---.static.rvsd.ca.charter.com)
Date: August 31, 2011 08:32PM

Sorry for posting two queries back to back. I've always spaced my posts with some space so that I won't bump others off the bottom of the page too quickly.

However, need to know this pretty quickly.

For SPINNING rods, now that micros have been around for a while, when you guys select the choke guide (1st running guide), do you:

1. Use the micro as the choke guide

2. Have a slightly larger choke guide?

For example, (choke):

20, 12, (3.5), 3.5, 3.5, 3.5, 3.5, 3.5

OR

20, 12, (5.0) , 3.5, 3.5, 3.5, 3.5, 3.5

Thanks in advance for the help.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2011 08:34PM by Mo Yang.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spinning: choke size.
Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: August 31, 2011 08:40PM

I normally use the micro guide as the choker/first running guide. I have built one with a size 6 for the choker due to the way the rod was laid out. 99 percent of the time I use 4's for runners and the choker guide. The last one I built was a Batson ISP783F 6'6" spinning rod and used a cut down tennessee style split grip (see my pictures). I used the following guides: BYAG 16, 8, then 4's to the tip. The reel spool on that rod has a small diameter and due to the thin tennessee grip I was able to use a 16 for the butt guide. I normally start with a 20 and also normally use 3 guides before my choker, like 20, 12, 8 or 6 then micros.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Re: Spinning: MICRO Choke Size?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 31, 2011 09:03PM

The choke guide is the first of the running guides. So in both your instances above, your choke guide would be a 3.5, albeit in different locations.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.static.rvsd.ca.charter.com)
Date: September 01, 2011 02:13AM

Greetings Tom,

Thanks. The two guides I put in the bracket (3.5) and (5.0) are in the choke guide position as I understand it. Meaning they are low, small and is where the line makes the angled change of direction towards the tip. Should it just be 3.5 or have a more gradual reduction of say, something like size 5?

Thanks,
Mo

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 01, 2011 07:03AM

Try it both ways and see if it makes any difference in performance

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 01, 2011 08:01AM

The choke guide and the running guides should be the same size.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.26-24.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: September 01, 2011 08:28AM

Think of the definition as ... "the guide that CHOKES the line down to its final height and ring size". Thus the "choke guide" couldn't possible be anything other than the exact size of the running guides AND subsequently the first of that subset on the guide train, as viewed from the butt. The term is simply giving a special title to that particular guide in the running guide array.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2011 08:29AM by Jim Gamble.

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.sta.embarqhsd.net)
Date: September 01, 2011 08:42AM

Mo,

I just built two 2S66MLF's and I used the second layout you listed above: 20, 12, 6, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4. These rods were built for 1000 size Quantum spinning reels using 4-6lb mono. As the others mentioned above, the choke guide should be the same size as the running guides (3.5 in your case) but I didn't notice any difference in using the larger guide in my case. A little test casting will tell you what you need to know.

jeremy

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nmci.usmc.mil)
Date: September 01, 2011 08:57AM

Mo,

On my smaller builds using a 20 as the beginning guide I will typically go 20,10,5, then 3.0's (or smaller) to the tip. i have been using a lot of the 2.5's over the 3.0's lately and really like it for small spinning stuff.

Tom

Posted by: Gary Snyder (---.fort-lauderdale-04rh15-16rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: September 01, 2011 01:57PM

Which ever choke guide/third guide lines up with the first two guides when put against a straight edge is what I would go with (the straight edge should intersect the rod in front of the choke). You might have to stretch it out to 4 guides. I would also recommend test casting.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 01, 2011 09:06PM

I use the same size for chock guide and running guides down to 3.5 mm size.
But when using 3mm -2.5mm -2mm or 1.5mm guides, I will stay with the larger 3.5 guide choker guide. personally I've seen it make a good bit of distance in casting.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.dslextreme.com)
Date: September 02, 2011 01:21AM

Thanks every one! Much appreciate the comments.

Mo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster