I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Mark Crouse's Special Wrapper
Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 31, 2011 03:16PM

Is the wrapper featured in the current issue of RM the same as the Signature Wrapper sold through Merrick Tackle?
If not, does Mark sell this special version?
I would have contacted Mark but his email is hidden.
Thanks,
DG

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mark Crouse's Special Wrapper
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 31, 2011 03:28PM

Mark made no mention to me of offering this for sale. Considering the time involved, I can't imagine you could sell something like this for much under a grand and a half and really make any money.

But I may be wrong. Contact Merrick and ask. Or perhaps Mark will see this and respond.

Posted by: Casey Abell (96.28.123.---)
Date: August 31, 2011 06:07PM

Can someone post some pics.. Im looking to build one soon and am taking in all ideas

thanks

Posted by: mark crouse (---.unassigned.ntelos.net)
Date: August 31, 2011 06:43PM

Hi David
The one you see in the magazine is my wrapper, but I will built what ever you want, just E-mail me
mscrods@gmail.com .
by the way the Wrapper at Merrick Tackle is not the same, and Merrick does not have any in stock.
Best Regrads Mark Crouse

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 31, 2011 06:49PM

hay mark

A Special wrapper ??

I would like to see a picture of this I know your good at building But like Tom said $ 1500.00 ????

Bill - willierods.com

Date: August 31, 2011 06:52PM

Bill,

I was pointing out that for a dealer to purchase and sell such a custom item would cost a great deal of money.

The photos are in the current issue of RodMaker Magazine.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: August 31, 2011 07:19PM

I had the pleasure of seeing one of Mark's rod wrappers in April. It wasn't a wrapping jig, it was a piece of custom furniture, and incredible to the last detail! I don't know if it was the one from the magazine, but his woodworking skills are right there with his rod building skills.

Joe

Date: August 31, 2011 07:28PM

it is a wrapper -- what besides Looks could be Special about it

Not trying to be a But head But -----

Bill - willierods.com

Date: August 31, 2011 07:43PM

Joe,

I believe it is the same one that he brought to the Ohio rod builders gathering. Very nice indeed.

Date: August 31, 2011 08:20PM

Bill,

Many of the same things that separate a custom rod from a rack rod, fit and finish, aesthetics, personalization, ergonomics, etc. It's a wrapper in the same sense that a custom rod is a fishing rod.

Joe

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: August 31, 2011 08:33PM

I had the opportunity to see it, play with it up close also. It's very well designed with drawers, tool holders, slides, tensioners etc. It is far unlike anything else out there. If you look under my pictures you will see it there also. I took some pictures from our last gathering and his wrapper is in a few of them I believe.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 31, 2011 08:38PM

Bill, it is a comprehensive, complete wrapping station, as depicted in RodMaker. OH and by the way....it is BUTT

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: August 31, 2011 08:42PM

You really need to see it up close to explain it although the pics in Rodmaker are very good.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: mark crouse (---.unassigned.ntelos.net)
Date: August 31, 2011 11:12PM

Hey Bill
If you start wrapping a rod in the Custom built wrapper and leave it there Over Night the Kiebler Elf’s will come and finish it for you.
There are Fly tying benches for few grand, this is pretty much the same, it just does not cost a few grand, just depends what wood you want me to use.
Best Regards Mark Crouse

Date: September 01, 2011 06:36AM

Is this the wrapper [www.rodbuilding.org]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 01, 2011 07:43AM

Bill: It's similar.. but the "Presentation Wrapper" in RM is done in custom woods and probably has more features.

Mark: I'll be in touch.. Thanks.

Date: September 01, 2011 08:44AM

Bill,

Very similar. The one he brought to the Ohio Gathering was dressed up just a bit more and had some drawers added into the base. Here is the picture that shows the most detail from the pictures Mike and David put up afterwards: [www.rodbuilding.org]

Joe

Date: September 01, 2011 09:07AM

Those draws are a nice idea

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster