I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Aluminum Winding Check Size
Posted by: Ryan Higgins (---.130.132.122.nwinternet.com)
Date: August 31, 2011 12:30PM

I'm looking at getting the St.Croix 3SC90HF2 SCIII Salmon/Steelhead blank and building a rodout of it. I want to use an aluminum winding check on the front of the fore grip, but dont know what size Aluminum check to get. I'll be using a 14" rear grip, fuji size 16 acs seat, and and a 3" foregrip. Anyone have a general idea for a blank like this? It would get kind of expensive to order a few up and hope one works, and I'd rather not get everything then measure and have to order just the check. Thanks for any help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Aluminum Winding Check Size
Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: August 31, 2011 12:56PM

Get a hold one one of the suppliers, as long as they have the blank, I am sure they would be willing to figure out what the diameter of the blank is at the point where the winding check is going to go. Then you can make sure you get the right one.

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 31, 2011 01:10PM

Ryan -- Don't sweat these type issues. As Mike stated, if you order the St. Croix blank from us at Mud Hole Custom Tackle, we will fit the aluminum check for you. Just part of the level of customer service offered here.

Bob McKamey
bobm@mudhole.com

Posted by: Rich Redmon (---.csd.disa.mil)
Date: August 31, 2011 02:07PM

I ordered a rod, reel seat, winding check, etc from mudhole yesterday. I just picked the size I thought was about right, but on checkout wrote in the comment section that i wanted the reel seat so many inches from the butt and a winding check in front of that to please fit it appropriately. When it shipped out today, I noticed on my invoice that the sizes had changed. Thanks for the great service Mudhole.

Date: August 31, 2011 02:33PM

Rich has offered a very good suggestion, as for leaving message in the comment section at the end of your order when ordering from Mud Hole Custom Tackle. If ordering via phone, you can provide your info to one of our sales reps and it will be typed on the order to have parts fitted to a particualr blank. We aim to please!!

Bob McKamey
bobm@mudhole.com

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 31, 2011 04:46PM

calling is a lot better just in case there are more questions on it

They go a mile too help

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Rick Jones (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 31, 2011 11:56PM

What Bob said- I have ordered from Mud hole several times. Tell them where you want the checks and seat, they will send the right one.

Posted by: Ryan Higgins (---.130.132.122.nwinternet.com)
Date: September 01, 2011 01:39PM

Bob and others,
Thank you for the quick responses. I will be ordering this from Mudhole. I placed my second order with Mudhole two weeks ago and customer service with it was outstanding. I had a few issues, filed a case online, and it was promptly rectified at no cost to me. I will make sure to add in the comments to fit the winding check to the blank OD. Great customer service that will keep me coming back.

Date: September 01, 2011 02:42PM

A Huge Thank You to all of you!! We Appreciate Your Business and strive to offer top notch service that our customers deserve.

Bob McKamey
bobm@mudhole.com

Posted by: Mark Guile (162.136.192.---)
Date: September 07, 2011 05:19PM

Someone, somewhere (I don't remember what site I found it on), made a google spreadsheet that calculates winding check sizes. I've used it a few times and its been perfectly accurate for me, just input the data in the blue boxes and you'll get your winding check size...... Here's the link
[spreadsheets.google.com]

Posted by: Mark Guile (162.136.192.---)
Date: September 07, 2011 05:21PM

Someone, somewhere (I don't remember what site I found it on), made a google spreadsheet that calculates winding check sizes. I've used it a few times and its been perfectly accurate for me, just input the data in the blue boxes and you'll get your winding check size...... Here's the link
[spreadsheets.google.com]

mudhole is an awesome source for, well, everything but I have to use this because they're usually closed when I'm doing my building & ordering

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2011 05:34PM by Mark Guile.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster