I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Is a Stuart tuff-butt too much for a 30# class rod?
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: August 31, 2011 01:58PM

I have a blank that arrived with a decent nick about 10-12" up from the butt. It isn't worth it to return it. If I go with the complete tuff-butt the nick would have an aluminum sleeve over it. Only concern is am I adding way too much weight for the class of the rod.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is a Stuart tuff-butt too much for a 30# class rod?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 31, 2011 02:58PM

The Tuff-Butt is intended to ease installing or removing a rod from a rod holder under pressure. If you plan to use the rod in a holder, I'd be using a tuff or slick butt of some description, and not EVA or Hypalon. Those style butts can be had in hard nylon, which won't add as much weight as you might think.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 31, 2011 04:40PM

The tuff-butts as fare as I am concerned are way to heavy
A slick butt and reel seat are a lot lighter

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 31, 2011 08:13PM

I install Stuart Tuff-Butt (full assemblies) on 20, 30, 50 lb class rods for charter captains fishing the Chesapeake Bay all the time. These (the ones I build) are used for trolling so they are in rod holders 90% of the time (obviously longer than the Captains would like them to be). I've seen them loaded up with Penn 320's, Penn Senators, Okuma convectors Avet reels as well as a variety of other lever and star drag reels.

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: September 01, 2011 04:41PM

How the rod is used is the factor for me, too. I'll give you two examples:

1) I built a wireline rod for trolling bunker spoons. The thing is Heavy Tackle; the reel, by itself, when filled with 100 yards of wire line, weighs probably five or six pounds. And it is being used to troll metal bunker spoons that weigh over a pound apiece. The rod is a beast, so what difference does throwing in a Stuart Tuff butt make, weight-wise? Not much was my answer, and I like the looks and durability of them, so I used one.

2) I built another trolling rod rod, but instead of trolling bunker spoons, it was designed to troll Mann Stretch-type lures. This was a shorter, lighter blank than the bunker spoon rod, with a lighter reel, braid instead of wire, etc. For this, using a Tuff Butt would really have been adding too much weight, so I used a nylon slick butt and an aluminum reel seat. The finished rod is still no featherweight, but unlike the bunker spoon rod, it is light enough to fish with it, if you wanted to.

So it really depends on what you'll be doing with your rod. If weight matters, then don't use a Tuff Butt. If it doesn't matter, then you can use one. For trolling rods, even in the 30 lb. class, you can probably get away with using one if you want to, because weight matters a lot less on trolling rods than it does on other kinds of fishing rods.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 01, 2011 06:00PM

Well it isn't a trolling rod although it may see some use as such and will reside in a rod holder at times. Biggest reason to consider it was the nick in the blank. The rod is very fast, and it is a composite, so chances are it won't flex much down that low. The nick looks like what you would get if you put a pipe cutter on it and rotated it 135 degrees or so. The guy kinda wanted an aluminum reel seat but also wanted a rear grip too long to put the nick under the reel seat. For those reasons I considered the complete stuart tuff-butt system.

It is sounding like it would weigh too much for what I wanted to be a 25-30# class bottom fishing rod. The blank is no light weight at 4.7 ounces but I don't wish to go overboard trying to fix something that may never be a problem.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Jeff Seabridge (---.cmdnnj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 02, 2011 05:26PM

Can you put a sleeve over the nick either alum. or fiberglass from an old blank that can also interact with the rear end of the reel seat as a bushing? I'm not sure how close you are but a sleeve that covers the nick and is a bushing in the rear of the reel seat might do it.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.sip.chs.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 03, 2011 09:07AM

The most important question that has not been asked is this...Exactly what is it that you're calling a "nick"? What blank are you using, how deep is the nick, and how long is the nick?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster