I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Aluminum Tube Extension
Posted by: Bruce Kemp (---.dhcp.jcsn.tn.charter.com)
Date: August 28, 2011 12:07PM

Am considering extending blank 12-18 in.Will build handle and seat on aluminum tube and add to blank.Seat will be where the overlap is on the blank.What kind of tube do I need,will what I find at Lowes be strong enough or do I need something more specific in the tubing?Will be used in rodholder ,bottom fishing, freshwater. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Aluminum Tube Extension
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 28, 2011 02:08PM

What size line will be you using?

Date: August 28, 2011 02:36PM

25lb. mono 2-20 lb. catfish.Butt is approx. 3/4 od.

Date: August 28, 2011 04:21PM

At that point you start dealing with a lot of variables - how long is the rod? What you'll find at Lowes or HD is fairly thin wall tubing. From a rod holder, with a long enough rod, you might possibly run into problems with the handle creasing or folding under a big time hit from a huge fish.

But, this is a worst case scenario based on a long rod, heavy line and really big catfish.

Date: August 28, 2011 04:50PM

Tom its 7 ft and I want to make it 8 ft.Could buy a better quality tube I suppose,but if I do that could probably just get an 8 ft. blank and not have to worry.Youre right about the tube creasing and folding up.That was my concern,and that possibility of a Big fish is very real where I fish.Id hate to lose a once in a lifetime fish because I was too cheap to buy a $50 blank.You talked me ouy of it.lol Thanks

Date: August 28, 2011 05:01PM

There are a couple things you can do to stiffen/strengthen the tube without adding much weight, but I'll leave that alone for now. If a blank you like is available in the length you need, that's always a safe bet to take.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 29, 2011 08:37AM

Bruce,
Rather than use an aluminum tube - just slip a larger piece of rod blank over the butt of your current blank, overlapping it by 4 inches or so.

Glue the two blanks together, and go ahead and build your rod.

I have done this many times in the past with 0 issues.

Very simple and completly reliable.

Roger

Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 29, 2011 03:22PM

Bruce, If weight isn't too much of a factor for you, you would probably be fine using a dowel if the diameter of the blank is large enough to receive one with that is strong enough.

Tight Lines and Bull's-eyes,

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com
www.facebook.com/GetBitOutdoors

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 29, 2011 10:59PM

Bruce,
If you need a butt extension but don't have ready access to a good source of blanks; check out the drop box at your favorite sporting goods and fishing store for unused rods.
Also check out your local salvation army, or good will store for some of the larger rods that you might need for this application.
A nice way to go is with one of the glass deep sea rods. You can often chop it up and come up with the exact blank size that you need for your project. Clean up the outside of the blank and you are good to go.

Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster