I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

3M Resin/Prepeg
Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: August 26, 2011 08:58PM

[solutions.3m.com]

just something I thought folks would enjoy reading. If you aren't familiar with Great Longview, you probably are and don't know it.

-----------------
AD

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 3M Resin/Prepeg
Posted by: Rick Heil (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: August 26, 2011 10:31PM

Hm,

That is a very interesting read, and since I had a chat with a Wright & McGill representative at last years Portland's Sports Expos convention he had some interesting things to say that correlate with that article you posted. I beleive this new resin for rod industry is already out there and in use by certain hand picked companies already or at least the ones who could afford to get there hands on that resin. Just a theory here for thought as I read that article. Would be curious if others out there know more on this article. What else is intriguing is the name Great Longview I have never seen that name before ...? I might be recluse but man ! I do read alot LOL ! Thanks for the article Alex ! very interesting read !

Rick H.

rwheil@msn.com

Website
[www.facebook.com]
[home.comcast.net]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2011 01:39PM by Rick Heil.

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghkny.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 26, 2011 11:11PM

The Hardy website speaks about the use of a new 3M product in their graphite rods.
Sounds like the same thing. They mention that there are 4 rod companies with this technology.

Posted by: Drew Pollock (162.119.68.---)
Date: August 26, 2011 11:18PM

Isn't this the same thing as the "Nano" technology already used by St Croix? This was a new product a year or two ago, but not now.

But who is Great Longview? I'll bet it's a Chinese company that makes carbon fiber products.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 27, 2011 12:13AM

3M's headquarters is in Minneapolis not Japan. It is a USA based international company and one of their lines is Scientific Anglers products. Great Longview is a Taiwan company and an OEM/ODM of fishing rods under many distributors labels.

It is the same "nano" technology that was discussed at ICRBE.

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.fergus.prtel.com)
Date: August 27, 2011 07:15AM

3M = Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 27, 2011 07:53AM

wonder if MHX rods will have the new 3M product, in thier rods, just wondering.

Posted by: Richard Glabach (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 27, 2011 08:31AM

What brands are made by Great Longview?

Will this mean more rod blanks using 3M technology will be available to rod builders?

Posted by: Rick Heil (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: August 27, 2011 01:42PM

hm,

I stand corrected Phil E. Thank you for clarifying that ! and fixed as well !

Rick H.

rwheil@msn.com

Website
[www.facebook.com]
[home.comcast.net]

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 27, 2011 01:47PM

hay Lorenzo

If they did You would not get the nice prices any more

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Todd Kreikamp (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: August 31, 2011 09:59AM

Thanks for posting the article Alex. As it stands today, I believe that G Loomis (NRX), St. Croix (NSi), Hardy, are the only companies with this system in production currently but it looks as if the technology will be hitting the masses sooner than later. In speaking with Gary Loomis at the ICRBE, I know he was playing with it as well and was trying to replicate some initial tests that were very promising. I have some upcoming fly rod projects using the new St. Croix SCV w/ NSi in 8-10wt's which just became available this month and look forward to testing them on the albies this year.

Posted by: Bruce Vetre (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: September 02, 2011 11:25AM

After talking with 3m a couple weeks ago, my understanding is this. Although there are a few companies who jumped on the product initially, and those few are "grandfathered" in, new users will have to go through an approval process. 3m feels that this is an exceptional system, and wants to be sure the product is actually used in the manufacturing process in accordance to their guidelines. Their reasoning is that this way the product won't get devalued or misrepresented in marketing by users who may only use a small amount in their blanks, make great claims, only to have the end user's expectations fall short. It will prevent the inevitable confusion of what it really means to have a blank with 3M Nano Resin.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster