I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

heating epoxy to get rid of "lumps"
Posted by: Bill Tune (---.wasco-inc.com)
Date: August 26, 2011 02:57PM

All my various epoxies are stored in a cool basement and seem to get grainy after a while. ( Actually it usually takes months.) I know I can nuke it for a few seconds but wondered if there is any problem with doing this several times? This effects my finish, regular epoxy and Rod Bond. The epoxy and Rod Bond seem to mix ok without heating but I still do it to make sure there are no problems with using. It does show on the finish.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: heating epoxy to get rid of "lumps"
Posted by: lee smith (---.hsd1.ms.comcast.net)
Date: August 26, 2011 03:01PM

I store mine in the house, then carry to my wrapping shed. Haven't had a problem. To answer your question, I have nuked my high build for a couple of years with no problem. 10 to 15 sec. at this time.

Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 26, 2011 03:50PM

Should be just fine, if your worried about it test it to be sure.

Tight Lines and Bull's-eyes,

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com
www.facebook.com/GetBitOutdoors

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: August 26, 2011 03:55PM

Bill,

Really depends on the finish. Some heat and re-melt well and you can do it several times with no issues. Other brands you cant ever get to completely re-melt and one brand once heated several times wont ever set up, it just stays sticky forever. Test your finish!

DR

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 26, 2011 04:17PM

You can heat and restore epoxy resin over and over, as many times as needed, and it will not change the properties of the material. Put your mind at ease.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 26, 2011 11:14PM

Bill,
If you are frequently doing this, perhaps you should buy smaller quantities of epoxy to minimize the issue.

Roger

Posted by: Bill Tune (---.wasco-inc.com)
Date: August 29, 2011 02:51PM

Mixed a test batch of finish and applied it to some dummy wraps. It seems to be fine now with no extra lumps!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster