I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod suitable for pike and carp
Posted by: Chad Huderle (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: August 26, 2011 11:06AM

I've got a build coming up and the customer wants something that will handle northern pike and carp that can be up to 20 lbs. The carp he targets are below a nearby dam and he uses 2oz+ egg sinkers to get the bait to the bottom and keep it there.

I only use Batson blanks and the blank I'm considering is the IMB846. I was considering one of the hotshot blanks but 7' is as long as the customer wants to go and the hot shots start a 7'6".

Anyone else have a different recommendation other than the IMB846?

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod suitable for pike and carp
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 26, 2011 11:41AM

Chad,
I would just buy any medium heavy blank in a length that is suitable for the client.

If you want to go with the hot shot blank that is 7'6", buy it and chop 6 inches off of the butt of the rod. Easy solution on a great blank.

Roger

Date: August 26, 2011 11:42AM

p.s.
The idea of using a hot shot blank is a very good idea when targeting these fish.
Often, big carp can be very very soft biters. As a result, the use of a rod with a softer tip often result in more fish.
This is the case with most of the hot shot blanks. i.e. lighter tips with heavier mid and butt sections.

Roger

Date: August 26, 2011 11:44AM

p.s.
If you do decide to go with a hot shot blank for this rod, and need to cut it; Don't chop off any of the tip. You need to keep all of the light tip for bite detection. Chop any extra length from the butt of any of these blanks.

Roger
-

Date: August 26, 2011 12:24PM

I was considering the HS932 and chopping the 9" off the butt but that would slow down the extra fast tip and lower the power.

The HS932 is 7'9". After a little discussion about pros and cons he is okay with the extra length after I explained he'll get more casting distance plus that blank is about 21% lighter than the IMB846.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 26, 2011 12:48PM

I am seeing several that are stated to handle 3 - 4 oz at 7' 1 pc and 2 piece Your doing 2 plus sinkers and bait

Batson should have many MHX lamiglass

Bill - willierods.com

Date: August 26, 2011 01:06PM

Thanks Bill.

I didn't state it very clearly but he uses two1 oz sinkers and the bait is just a clump of oatmeal on a hook. The HS932 is rated for 1/2 to 2 1/2 oz. plus it possesses the extra fast tip. I've never built one of the HS blanks yet so I'm hoping its AA is 78 - 80.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Date: August 26, 2011 01:21PM

Chad,
Chopping 9 inches off of the butt of the rod, will NOT change the softness and sensitivity of the tip.
Sure you lose a bit of power, but so what. The blank will still have plenty of power to land the fish being caught.

Roger

Date: August 26, 2011 01:34PM

Roger,

Thanks for the input but I have to disagree. Shortening a rod from either the tip or the butt will change the action of a blank. If that's what you refer to as softness and sensitivity of the tip. To what degree largely is dependent on the blank being discussed. Since the HS blanks possess what Baston terms an extra fast tip it may be more negligible, but it will be slightly slower. I know this to be true because I have tested it myself on other blanks.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2011 01:36PM by Chad Huderle.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: August 26, 2011 01:45PM

Chad,

I'd look at the:

IMB845 Matte Clear 7'0" 1 14-25lb. 3/8 - 2oz. 0.620 6.5 Fast Mag-Heavy 3.08 oz. jig & pig / pitching plastics in and around heavy cover

I've built several of these for Striped Bass fishermen and it's very capable.

DR

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 26, 2011 01:50PM

What about Mud Hole MHX FS966T-MHX Telescopic, this blank will aid in casting being 8' and will go down to 7' for storage, will handle 2oz baits and 20lb Pike or Carp. I have this blank and just love it for Pike that I fish for in Canada.

Date: August 26, 2011 02:01PM

Duane, that's a great blank too. I just finished a pike rod for another customer last month using that blank.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Date: August 26, 2011 02:07PM

Richard,

Thanks for the recommendation. I've read only good reviews on the MXH sticks but I stick with Batson blanks for two reasons. One, they're excellent blanks and a great value and two, I live just down the street from from one of our vendors on the left, Midwest Rod and Reel. Al and Bill carry the Batson line of blanks and treat me great and I don't ever have to deal with shipping charges.

Doesn't get much better than that!

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: August 26, 2011 03:36PM

Keep in mind on most hot shot blanks the listed weight is a trolling weight, NOT a casting weight. I would say casting two ounces with a two power hot shot blank is pushing the limit. I have a three power baston in 8'6" (HS1023F) and two ounces is more than I would want to cast on it. It will cast one ounce a mile though so maybe he won't need two ounces.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: August 26, 2011 04:15PM

Thanks Russell, good info to know.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Date: August 26, 2011 11:24PM

Chad,
As I said in my original post chopping a blank WILL change the power and action, depending on whether it is taken from the butt or the tip.

My only put on this particular blank for this particular action - the tip and its ability to nicely bend is a great asset in getting a visual indication of a light carp bite. So, don't cut any of it off.

If, you end up cutting 9 inches off of the butt, as I said earlier, will end up reducing the power. BUt, even for big fish, the power reduction will be still be sufficient to easily land the fish.

So, absolutely correct on your part - chopping a blank changes the power and or action or both.

I have simply suggested that for the type fish that you are catching, you don't want to destroy any of the tips ability to easily bend and telegraph the light bite visually to the fisher person.

All of the other blank suggestions are very good as well.

Rpoger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster