I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fresh water trout/panfish blank
Posted by: Brandon Gay (---.dsl.crchtx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 25, 2011 05:06PM

Being from Texas and mostly salt water fisherman, I need help on a trout/ pan fish rod. It will be built for a lady with MS who is in her 60's and as a surprise from her husband who couldn't give me much more info other than the reel she uses hangs on the bottom of the rod. So I'm looking for a spin rod, probably 5'6" or 6', one or two piece. I would prefer a colored blank, maybe green or burgandy, which I haven't been able to find except in a fly rod which was the Batson IF series. If a fly rod would be a decent choice, what weight would be best. Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2011 05:36PM by Brandon Gay.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fresh water trout/panfish blank
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 25, 2011 05:15PM

You had better get more info
Size - 1 or 2 pc How long What does she have and does she like Line used Lure weight All blanks throw weight What does he want to spend That is like asking some one to go buy you a car
Does she have any special needs

Try Mud Hole's custom builder blanks [www.mudhole.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Don Morse (99.150.143.---)
Date: August 25, 2011 05:48PM

I built an awesome feeling ultralight panfish rod on an american tackle matrix blank in the green, 5'6" 2 piece.....could not be happier with it.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.unknwn.ab.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: August 25, 2011 06:17PM

Brandon,

I do a lot of panfishing lately it seems. I have been using St Croix 4'6" ul for close work with beetle spins and grubs, I have 5 of the MHX sj720 that I use from the boat for general purpose. I have a couple of he Batson 840's that I really like for open water or larger areas especially when I am casting crickets. I also have a couple of the MHX s6010's that I use to really up the fun level (soft blank-moderate to slow action) and last but not least, I also use some of the s781's (mhx) as well. The s6010's and the s781's are great cricket casting rods as well, I also have a few of the 781's out with people who use them for trout with light powerbait rigs.

My absolute favorite lite rod is the Loomis SJ700 if you can find one still and I also really liked the Shikari sj 700.

I know these blanks are not colored but you do have the option of using a Lamiglass blank and they can color for you for a small charge.

hope this helps ya a bit

Tom

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.31.131.174.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: August 25, 2011 09:03PM

I'll 2nd the Mudhole custom builder blanks.

Posted by: John Martines (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: August 25, 2011 10:09PM

Check out Talon's website in the blank section, They have a light spinning section that might have a blank you want. If not I'll bet they can make one for you if you call, just ask for Jean. Oh and they might be able to do a color for you as well. Great people to deal with!!

Posted by: ricky espenschied (---.43.223.166.in-addr.arpa)
Date: August 25, 2011 10:36PM

Anglers workshop has 1 and 2 piece blanks. (anglers im6 spinning blanks) burgundy in color. also tag sez handcrafted in the u.s.a.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 25, 2011 11:48PM

I'll 2nd the choice on the Batson 840.
Wonerful for what you are planning for this rod.

Roger

Posted by: Michal Rozycki (193.201.167.---)
Date: August 26, 2011 02:31AM

Mudhole customer builder for sure (cute colours). Also check out the St.Croix SCIII fuchsia metallic blanks. There is a one-piece 6' panfish blank in that range. Alternatively you could paint something yourself...
Michal

Date: August 26, 2011 07:40AM

Also check these out 1 and 2 pc models [www.mudhole.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: August 26, 2011 09:16AM

Mudhole CRB model number IS601L, it comes in various colors.
Add some marbling and it could be the colors you want.
I have told Mudhole before i am sure there is a misprint with the lure ratings for that blank, they say 3/8 to 1/2, all my builds with it are more like 1/8 to 1/2oz lure.
Many I have built it for throw 1/16 rooster tails happily with it. I use it for stocked trout up to white bass, its very versatile and very tough yet light too.
If the lady has MS you need to stick to IM 6 or a blend, maybe even fiberglass as she is going to be dropping it.
Pay particular attention to how she can grip things too. Adjust grip/seat to meet her personal need. Some MS folks hands work better with thin grips others with fatter grips.
I know and love micros but this is one build where bigger is maybe better in guide size.
Threading line through a micro with shaking hands will get frustrating very fast.
Maybe some of the bigger minima 4 series guides? single foot fly style in a 6 or even an 8? Light and very large ring to frame ratio.

Date: August 26, 2011 09:28AM

Lou is spot on

Special needs If she is close go visit

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster