I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread Size
Posted by: Paul Hatfield (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: August 25, 2011 10:31AM

Hey Guys.

I realise this question has probably been asked a million times. Tried a few searches with no luck.

Building a 80lb tuna stick with roller guides.
I would like to put one wrap of underlay and one wrap over the guides.

What thread sizes would you recommend for the underlay and overlay?

Thanks for your help.

Paul.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2011 10:32AM by Paul Hatfield.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread Size
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 25, 2011 10:33AM

A or B under and D over

Posted by: Paul Hatfield (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: August 25, 2011 10:34AM

Ken that was a quick reply :)

Thanks for your help.

paul.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns5.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 25, 2011 10:44AM

Hi Paul,
I'd be putting two overwraps on an 80lb stick just in case. I use Madeira on my builds which is similar size to "A" thread and don't have any problems on rollered rods. A lot of guys will say to use D over A. D is thicker and therefore stronger but you get more wraps over a guide foot with thinner thread, so the choice is up to you. The smaller the thread the better look you'll get and the more work you got to do. You can also put a coat of finish on between the overbinds and that probably adds to the strength.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 25, 2011 12:53PM

Col is right.

The total strength of a guide wrap is very similar, whether you use a, b, c or d sized thread.
The reason is as Col stated. One size is thicker, but you get fewer wraps. So, the actual strength is very similar no matter the thread being used.

Now, there is another issue when it comes to heavy boat rods, or rods that are going to be used for heavy fishing with much of the work being done on the rail.
That issue is durability. Generally speaking, thicker thread will be more durable than thinner thread.

So, again, one of the biggest reasons to use the D sized threads for over wraps is to get better wrap durability when the rod is constantly being dragged back and forth across the rail during the use by many folks on head boats and other types of heavy rail fishing.

Roger

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: August 25, 2011 04:45PM

Doing an overwrap of Size A thread over and underwrap of Size A thread is a royal pain -- it can be done, but the overwrap thread always seems to get caught in the thread grooves on the underwrap. Using D on the overwrap is so much easier, because you don't have this problem with two different-sized threads.

My rule of thumb is that if the rod is heavy enough to warrant the use of overwraps, the rod gets A underneath and D over top. If you think that size D thread is too heavy to use on an overwrap, then the rod doesn't need underwraps in the first place.

Just my 2 cents.

Posted by: Paul Hatfield (210.8.191.---)
Date: August 25, 2011 08:11PM

Thanks for all the comments guys.
I think I will go for D over A this time.

This is only me second rod and I guess if I dont like the look of the D over A I can always change it.

Once again thanks for the help.

Paul.

Posted by: Paul Hatfield (210.8.191.---)
Date: August 25, 2011 08:12PM

Col.

Do you put a layer of resin between the overlays?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 26, 2011 07:47AM

If you want to make it easier to wrap over the base coat finish it up CP and Permagloss or LumiSeal will give a hard surface to wrap over

Bill - willierods.com

Date: August 26, 2011 08:12AM

I hardly ever put any finish on an under wrap. The only time I do so is CP to preserve the color of lighter color threads (not white, yellow, pale blue - for those shades I use NCP thread). Some will opine that putting a layer of thread finish (PG, Lumaseal, epoxy) on the under wrap provides better adhesion of the under wrap to the blank and that may be true - although it sounds reasonable I have no idea if that is true. If the edges of the wraps are sealed to prevent water intrusion I think you'll be ok. Others will say that it makes the over wrap easier - that is true if you are using the same size (diameter) thread on the under and over wraps (A over A for example). The purpose of an under wrap is to protect the blank - which means that the guide foot might dig into the rod blank. A layer of thread is, IMO, added insurance ONLY if the guide has been properly prepped (no sharp points & edges) and the guide wrap (securing wrap) is sufficiently firm to hold the guide securely. That is the main reason that I do not like polyester thread with CP as a binding wrap. Poly and rayon have a tendency to "relax" when some CPs are applied - to me it's better to use nylon for guide bindings.

Date: August 26, 2011 09:12AM

So then all rods should not have any clear on them and are better bare ??
When a rod is wrapped most have a clear

What is the difference between a cleared blank and a base wrap

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.sip.chs.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 26, 2011 11:18AM

I used to wrap A over A with no issues. D over A presents zero negative effects. I have, in the past, though that applying epoxy to every single layer of thread was the best thing to do. As time progressed I moved more to the "wrap everything and then epoxy" way of thinking. I have heard nothing that says this will not work just fine.

Date: August 26, 2011 11:23AM

Bill -
I think from the standpoint of adhesion, yes. Greater surface area = better bond. Same reason we abrade the insides of reel seats & that "water break free surface". Yes, most rod blanks have a clear coat applied. "What is the difference between a clear coat and a base wrap?" The degree of penetration of the epoxy/finish through multiple layers of thread or absorption in and between layers. Which is "better" - I already wrote I have no idea if this is true or not. Logically I think it should be 'better' to under wrap / coat and then over wrap - but I've never had one fail by not doing that and it's faster to coat them both at the same time.

Date: August 26, 2011 12:24PM

I was thinking of the ease to wrap and not have thread go in between the base thread On a heavy rod as that I would like a good tension on the guide thread but what ever is put over the base - if anything - is soft and makes it hard to pack thread. CP and finish.
One can also use NCP thread on the base and a good coat of perm I just feel it is a better way
If nothing goes on then thinned several coats of CP would soak in better then some of the thicker ones
Heck you can put several on in what an hour or less

I don't think any one sands any clear coating where they are putting a guide

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns5.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 27, 2011 11:35PM

Hi Paul,
Appologies for the delay. On an 80lb stick I would be putting a coat of finish between the overbinds to ensure the finish penetrated the thread and adhered to the guide foot. Then another two coats over the final overbind. That would give you maximum strength and the extra weight would probably not be noticed on an 80lb stick.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: August 28, 2011 01:17PM

Col Chaseling Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Paul,
> Appologies for the delay. On an 80lb stick I would
> be putting a coat of finish between the overbinds
> to ensure the finish penetrated the thread and
> adhered to the guide foot. Then another two coats
> over the final overbind. That would give you
> maximum strength and the extra weight would
> probably not be noticed on an 80lb stick.
>
> ESFNEM Col
> Port Kembla, NSW
> Australia

I would routinely double wrap D/D or A/D over heavy guides and feel I get great penetration with just one application of epoxy through it all. The disclaimer to that is that I've never cut one of my guides off to check this penetration (I've never had the need to cut off a guide I've tied on).

I always start my epoxy application by putting a drop, or drops, on the tip of each guide foot. Once I get all the feet finished I will go back to the first guide and start over again. If you wait a few minutes you will see epoxy wicking itself out from under the feet in the center of the guide. This tells me the tunnels are filling with epoxy. My next step is to apply epoxy to the sides of the feet. After that I coat the entire wrap. I don't think I'm leaving "dry" thread using this process. I could be wrong, but I'm a believer that the epoxy is liquid enough to wick from one layer of thread to the next.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster