I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Selecting Proper Blanks
Posted by: Brian Bishop (---.sw.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 23, 2011 04:57PM

I am new to rodbuilding. I am wanting to build inshore salwater rods. I am curious to know what the proper blank selection is. I like the blanks that Waterloo uses in Victoria Texas. What Mfg. should I look at in selecting a blank similiar to them.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Selecting Proper Blanks
Posted by: Bill Napier (---.quaintcompany.com)
Date: August 23, 2011 05:02PM

Wow that's a wide open question! ST. Croix makes a line of Inshore blanks as a specialty. Seeker makes some also. Lamiglas has a selection. There are almost too many to list and all make a quality product. I would start visiting some of the sponsors to the left and kicking around some ideas. If you find a dealer in a location near you then it might pay you to ask what their most popular blank models for type of fishing are. None will steer you wrong.

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 23, 2011 05:15PM

Brian -- I understand that going thru the process of selecting blanks can be quite difficult. If you would like, give me a call at Mud Hole Custom Tackle and I will gladly help assist you. You can reach me at -- 866-790-7637 and my direct extension is 114. If I happen to be on another call and it goes to my voice mail, just leave a message with your phone number and I will get back with you. Thank You - Bob

Bob McKamey
bobm@mudhole.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2011 05:17PM by Bob McKamey.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: August 23, 2011 06:34PM

I don't know what Waterloo uses. My guess is St. Croix. Their inshore blanks are great and I have a couple of those in the SCIII series. Another blank that you can not go wrong for our area fishing-I am not too far from you-is the MHX L842 blank. I cannot say enough about this blank. It will cover everything from popping cork to MirroLures, soft plastics, and spoons. Buy one, you won't be disappointed.

Posted by: David Norton (---.bna.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 23, 2011 06:47PM

Brian, you can't go wrong in dealing with Bob McKamey. I have dealt with Bob for close to 16 years now . He won't steer you wrong. JMHO!

Dave Norton

Posted by: Brandon Gay (---.dsl.crchtx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 23, 2011 07:10PM

Shoot me an email, I'm in Victoria if that's where your at, you can swing by and check out Batson's RX8 line.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.31.131.174.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: August 23, 2011 10:02PM

There are so many blank manufacturers out there that it can seem overwhelming when trying to find a blank,
Your best bet is to find a supplier and develop a relationship with them. They won't steer you wrong and will also become invaluable when any issues arise. I buy everything from Mudhole. Todd, Scott, Gary, JL, Bob and everyone there has been a true pleasure to deal with.

All that being said, I use and prefer MHX to just about anything else on the market.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: August 24, 2011 08:50AM

Brian you are asking the $64K question. The ability to look at ratings and pick the right blank for a given application, particulary when it isn't listed for your application, is the single biggest advantage a rod builder has over the guy buying at a store IMHO. I was asked Tom for some words of wisdom in that area. The best he could say was it took time and experience and was something not all could learn to do.

I suggest you look at popping blanks, mag bass blanks, hot shot blanks, and spin/jig blanks. Popping blanks are popular for inshore work and tend to be a litle slower in action. That lends them to being a better choice for lures with treble hooks and fish with softer mouths. Of course they will fish shrimp under a popping cork. The mag bass blanks tend to have a little more flex in the tip and more strength in the backbone. Perhaps a good choice for top water plugs cast in tight to mangrove roots for fish like snook. The hot shot blanks are extra fast blanks with very light tips and very strong back bones. They are great when you need to cast very light offering the longest distance but still have enough rod to handle a good sized fish. They aren't for heavy cover so think open flats and unweighted shrimp or very light jigs and plugs. You have to love a rod that lets you enjoy a bluegill but can handle a dolphin. For bonefish I can't think of a better choice. The spin/jig is multi purpose and tends to have a little stouter tip. I find them a good choice for bottom fishing as well as fishing jigs. In general think single hook lures.

There are many good brands. Some you will know. Seeker, Calstar, Lamiglass, Baston/Rainshadow, St. Croix, Castaway, and MHX all come to mind. I am sure I forgot many more.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: lewis morgan (---.dhcp.cdtw.ga.charter.com)
Date: August 24, 2011 03:27PM

Brian,
Talk to Bob at Mud hole as to what blank and to the application you desire. This guy is an authority on the type blank and type fishing you want to do. Started out with this guy almost 40 years ago and he never has never made a bad choice because of his experience in rod building is second to none. Spent a few days there in June doing some classes with Pat Vinzant and Don Morton on rod building. The staff of Bob, Todd , J l, Brooke, Scott , Tom and others is a pleasure to work with. They handle anything needed to build a great fishing rod.

Fuzz Morgan

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 24, 2011 03:39PM

The best thing - since nothing is written in stone -- is to ask here as to what others have used Like said any one at Mud hole will not steer you wrong

The search function here will also give you a LOAD of info -- If you like to read

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 24, 2011 04:46PM

Brian, you are doing the right thing by asking rather than just picking one off of a website or catalog. Feel free to give me a call 407-448-3635 and I'd be more than happy to help you out. If you are in the Victoria area I would suggest taking Brandon up on his offer. The RX8 line of blanks is second to none and Brandon is a great guy. Welcome to the club!!

Tight Lines and Bull's-eyes,

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com
www.facebook.com/GetBitOutdoors

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster