I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Favorite Feathers
Posted by: Bryce Abbott (---.lightspeed.wchtks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 23, 2011 07:13AM

1. What are your favorite feathers for inlays? Why?
2. Are there any strange twists you experience applying those feathers?

I have done a few now and I really like them but I am sure we all get a little bored with jungle cock eyes. So what do you like to use?

Bryce Abbott
Go & Do Likewise

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Favorite Feathers
Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: August 23, 2011 08:39AM

Guinea fowl. Gives a nice spotted look as a background. Overlay with whatever you like.

Posted by: lewis morgan (---.dhcp.cdtw.ga.charter.com)
Date: August 23, 2011 08:50AM

BRUCE,
i do a lot of feather work especialy feather bait images. I use quite a variety of feathers for my inlays that work real goodl for me.
Turkey, quail, Green Teal Duck, Blue Teal Duck, Millie Flur Rooster, Wood Duck, Wild Goose, Guinnea, Phesant( Gold neck and Red neck),Parakeet, Parrot, Mallard Duck, work for me. The peacock feathers have a lot of beatiful colors to work with.

Fuzz Morgan--- "KEEP THE RODS TURNING AND THE FEATHERS FLYING"

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 23, 2011 09:27AM

Fuzz I have a couple of questions pertaining to your listing of acceptable "bird feathers"!

Does the choice alter the wording of your Warranty?

How in the world do you sell one of those "Feather Sticks" to a Louisiana Bass Angler and keep the Co-angler working the back of the boat from "Tschooting de Thang" on hook set! If a Gator in the water spots any of those bird feathers you list he will come and get it!

Wher de Duk Shine?

Posted by: David Norton (---.bna.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 23, 2011 07:18PM

I use a variety of feathers,Argus Pheasant,Greys Pheasant,Ring Neck Pheasant, and peacock neck feathers. Of course I use Jungle Cock always which I buy by the skin. Most of all I get my feathers from Kate at Siskiyou Aviary. she has always been the best at providing what I need!

Dave Norton

Posted by: Bryce Abbott (---.lightspeed.wchtks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 23, 2011 09:21PM

David I looked at the Siskiyou website. It was scary. They didn't actually list anything for sale so I was worried it may be one of those "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" situations. I really like the Argus Pheasant but those feathers look way too big. Is there a technique for using just the part of the long feather that you want without causing to fall apart?

Bryce Abbott
Go & Do Likewise

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.42.150.---)
Date: August 27, 2011 05:17PM

A highly underated feather is ring neck pheasant shoulder feathers. They need to be displayed on a light background, so putting them on ivory painted reel seat shim foam ramps really brings them out. And you can get them free at any nearby shooting preserve. There are also some hybrids that are used at the preserves, and they offer some minor variation on the true ring neck feather.

To answer the question about using just part of a big feather, I have found that the problem with some big feathers is that they are often too stiff to conform to the blank. Any feather segment may be used, just cut them up and use what you want. But if they are too stiff, I haven't found a way to effectively use them. Guinea fowl mentioned above is a very easy to use feather, and as mentioned makes a nice background for other brighter stuff.

Posted by: david mastrude (---.dhcp.reno.nv.charter.com)
Date: October 21, 2011 06:39AM

Not to be argumentative but I noticed Russ Gooding {Golden Witch] says that ringneck pheasant feather turn black under the c.p. and epoxy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster