I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New concept question
Posted by: Mike Molenda (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: August 22, 2011 09:02PM

Hi,

I'm doing a layout on a 8' light action spinning blank and I am having some trouble with the new concept guide placement system. Here is what I came up with.

1.53 inches spool diameter = 38.862mm
Multiplied by 27 = 1049.274mm (equals 41.31 inches for choker placement)
that leaves me with 41.25 inches for running guides.
If I follow the instructions that are provided in the library and keep the running guides more than 4 inches and less than 5 inches apart, I would need 8 running guides on the rod plus the 2 or 3 reduction guides.
To me this seems like a lot of guides. Are these calculations correct? Or am I on the wrong path?
One more thing that was not clear to me is the choker guide. Is this guide the same size as the running guides or is it bigger?

Thanks
Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New concept question
Posted by: Steven Franatovich (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: August 22, 2011 09:48PM

What guides are you using? Style size

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 22, 2011 10:08PM

The choker guide and the running guides are the same size.

The length of rod between the choker guide and the tiptop is immaterial. Use however many running guides you feel you need to provide adequate stress distribution. If you read the article fully, you know that it states that you may use either an equi-distance spacing or a progressive spacing. Choose whichever suits you.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: August 23, 2011 06:59AM

The article suggests you start with a 4" spacing. The reason for that is to ensure you have enough guides as it is easier to delete one than add one. Static guide placement will tell you what you need.

I would start with the assumption that you will need a total of nine guides and that of them, 2 to 3 will be larger than the choker guide and the remainder will be the same size as the choker guide.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: August 23, 2011 05:42PM

Tom,

i re-read the article and found no mention of progressive placement of the running guides. I did read the part that stated "unlike the running guides which were placed equidistant from each other , the reduction guides will be placed progressively , with the distance between each guide lessening as you move up the rod towards the choker". I did not see any other mention of progressive spacing anywhere else in the article. Did I miss something??

Mike

Date: August 23, 2011 05:45PM

Possibly - I have written two articles on the NGC so I can't be sure which one you read. But it's fine to space the running guides progressively, as long as you do so in such a way that you still provide adequate stress distribution for the blank in that area. If you already know how to do this on your current rods, then you won't have any problem with such spacing on the running guides on this one.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 24, 2011 04:19PM

You can also use a Stock Spacing --- BUT-- this is just a starting point When you do a Static test it will tell you where the guides should be

Bill - willierods.com

Date: August 25, 2011 06:22PM

I think I know what the problem is. I went with my initial measurements and put the guides in place only to find out that it really didn't look right. So I sat there and thought, why did my other rods come out looking like they should and then i dawned on me. It is an 8' rod with a ultra light reel. The ultra light reel has a very small diameter spool compared to the size reel that normally goes with an 8' rod hence the choker guide calculation is way off from where it would normally end up. I know that the rod might function properly with this layout but it really looks funny to me, and I don't want to continue with it. What other methods could be used?? Is there an article on static placement? I have tried the "Equal Angle Guide Spacing Method" in the past but I tend to favor the NGC method. Any Help???

Mike

Date: August 25, 2011 07:32PM

Use the NGC - what it looks like is of no concern. The important thing is how it performs. It sounds like you're more interested in how it looks than how well it works.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 26, 2011 10:58AM

Butt guide should also be 1/2 the spool size -- To start

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster