I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Just bought a blank, and making sure my accessories are right
Posted by: michael schnoor (---.ga.at.cox.net)
Date: August 20, 2011 06:08PM

Just purchased a lamiglas: IMP904 7' 6" Mod-Fast Action - 1 Piece Blank
* Lure Rating 3/8-3/4 oz.
* Tip 5.0 Butt .520

Do these items look correct, and fit snugly? I've used kits before, so this is my first run without using one. Thanks guys. This will be purchased off mudhole. I'm going with the incredible hulk theme on this rod with the colors. It should come out beautiful--I think!

HLT-6-6.0 ATC Blk. Hal. Ring Top
Size: 6(6) ~ 2.4mm tube

HLT-6-5.5 ATC Blk. Hal. Ring Top
Size: 6(5.5) ~ 2.2mm tube

XRS-16A Project X Two-Tone Spinning Seat - #16 Amethyst Purple
Reel Seats: 16 Purple

BSC-8 GUIDE SET - ATC Black Halide Concept Spinning Guide Set for 7' to 8' Rods

CFS-A-552 ProWrap ColorFast 100yd Size A - 552 Neon Green
ProWrap: 552 Neon Green

MS-A-9600 ProWrap Metallic 100yd Size A - 9600 Purple
ProWrap: 9600 Purple

SGFBCC-1 Split-Grip Fighting Butt - Cork w/ Composite Trim 2.2" x 0.300" ID
Split-Grips: Composite - 2.2"

R-1.25-375 1.25" Front Split Grip (.375" ID)
F-1.0-250 1" Reverse Taper Foregrip (.250" ID)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Just bought a blank, and making sure my accessories are right
Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns4.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 20, 2011 07:47PM

Hi Michael,
You can probably do better with the guides rather than using a set. Rod looks like a candidate for the NGC method depending on the reel you are going to use. Use the smallest running guides that will pass your knots, possibly micros. Look in the library and read the two articles on NGC setup and that will show what you need for the rest.. Set the split grip up to suit your own preferences, you can do that by taping the reel seat on and going through some casting and fish fiighting mock ups. Size and taper of the split grip pieces are also a personal prefernce so do what you like. Good luck.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Date: August 20, 2011 08:30PM

I was thinking about throwing on my spheros 4000 onto this rig. This will be replacing my custom made lamiglas rod that was lost(along with my reel) when my buddy neglected to take my pole down from the poling platform and drove off(Pretty sure it snapped off on a tree on the ride home.) Will use it for reds/trout/snook with artificials...I throw a lot of topwater and cajun thunders with gulps.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 20, 2011 08:48PM

Part of custom rod building, kit or not, is reaming or shimming items to fit the rod blank. Rod building "kits" aren't quite like plastic model kits - the parts and pieces don't necessarily fit. That's something the rod builder has to do.

Date: August 20, 2011 09:01PM

Oh yeah, I've reamed cork and all that to fit blanks. What I was concerned about was the reel seat and if the guides were a good fit for this rod. I was thinking about winding checks, but to be honest--I will probably just do some threadwork around those areas. I was thinking about marbling the split grip area as well, but that's a whole other beast :)

Date: August 20, 2011 09:02PM

I'd select a reel seat that fits my hand and then shim or bush to fit the rod blank.

Posted by: Dave Loren (---.prvdri.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 21, 2011 06:25PM

"the parts and pieces don't necessarily fit. That's something the rod builder has to do." Amen, That's the the reason alot of buyers don't get it when we ask the prices we ask. Sorry just venting here. Someone tried to get me way down on a price and would not leave me alone.

Date: August 21, 2011 07:44PM

Tell them that the bulk of the price of a custom rod is in the knowledge, skill and labor involved. Thus, it makes little sense to use "cheap" parts in order to try and build an inexpensive rod. It takes just as long to build a cheap rod as it does to build a high end rod.

Date: August 22, 2011 01:15AM

Thanks for the input, I just wanted to make sure the guides and tip would work out alright for the application. I know I can just arbor the reel seat and all that, but just wanted to make sure all that would look OK! I should have worded everything a little better, as come to think about it--My first rod I built was a non-kit item!

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: August 22, 2011 08:33AM

Michael,
Back to your first post, at a glance everything looks like it will work (and look) just fine.
Enjoy your build & the fish will just jump in the boat.

Posted by: Steven Franatovich (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: August 22, 2011 02:10PM

Looks good I like the way winding checks look on split grips. Just tell your supplier where the reel seat is going the they will give you the right sizes you need if you cjoose to use them.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: August 22, 2011 02:54PM

Seems like a very nice blank. Why use budget guides? Go with alconite/nanolite at least. You won't use most of the sizes in the guide kit but it doesn't hurt to have them. Just buy a bunch of the smallest ones....like five #4 blag's (or #6 if you go with a 6 tip). I like to splurge for a SIC tip.

For a spinning reel I like a much bigger seat. These days I've grown quite fond of the aero seat. I don't do split seats so I can't help there.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 22, 2011 03:13PM

Dave

Send them to Wallie World

Bill - willierods.com

Date: August 22, 2011 03:18PM

Russel: I actually just won three other sets of Fuji guides on @#$%&, and will be throwing them on this rod. I don't know why I always go for cheap guides on the builds?!? An extra 30 dollars shouldn't be a big deal! Right?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 22, 2011 04:25PM

just for the heck of it

price out all the items in that Kit and see how much you are saving

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: August 23, 2011 07:08AM

Michael I have found guides to be the first thing that fails. For me the difference between a budget guide and a good (but not best) guide is larger in performance and life than the extra cost.

For sure to use the NGC layout explained in the library.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster