I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cut-off saw for trimming rod butt end Recomendation
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: August 19, 2011 11:37AM

Wondering if anyone has found a nice (preferably smaller) cut off saw for trimming rod butt ends to length. I recently tried the tiny bench top cut off saw from Harbor Freight, and it has no guts for trimming butts, so I need to go up a notch from that one.

Open to any other recomendations too.

Thanks,

Marc

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cut-off saw for trimming rod butt end Recomendation
Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: August 19, 2011 12:02PM

Dremel with cutoff wheel. I prefer using a diamond wheel. Wrap a piece of masking tape around the blank where you want to cut. The edge will give you a straight line and prevent splintering.

-----------------
AD

Date: August 19, 2011 12:13PM

Thanks Alex - I should have said also, that I'd like to stick with the cut-off type saw, for various reasons.

Posted by: Casey Abell (96.28.123.---)
Date: August 19, 2011 12:25PM

If you can find a smaller chop saw that should work.... I know I have seen something in the past that would work but I just cant think of what it was... It was almost a miniature chop saw... High speed fiber disk setup... Would be perfect...

Posted by: larry pilgrim (70.41.168.---)
Date: August 19, 2011 12:26PM

I use the same one that i use to cut graphite arrows off , it works great but if you don't have one go to an archery shop and see if they will cut the blank for you

Date: August 19, 2011 12:35PM

larry pilgrim Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I use the same one that i use to cut graphite
> arrows off , it works great but if you don't have
> one go to an archery shop and see if they will cut
> the blank for you

HAHAHAHA THATS IT!!!!! I couldnt remember where I had seen it but once you said "arrow" the light bulb went off. I saw that small chop saw when I was at some hunting store years ago...

Date: August 19, 2011 12:35PM

larry pilgrim Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I use the same one that i use to cut graphite
> arrows off , it works great but if you don't have
> one go to an archery shop and see if they will cut
> the blank for you

HAHAHAHA THATS IT!!!!! I couldnt remember where I had seen it but once you said "arrow" the light bulb went off. I saw that small chop saw when I was at some hunting store years ago...

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.sip.chs.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 19, 2011 01:21PM

Are you cutting large amounts of butts? I always did this by hand.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 19, 2011 02:26PM

Fine tooth hack saw or just the blade

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 19, 2011 02:49PM

Marc
Harbor Freight has two bench top chop saws - a 4" and a 6" as well as a 14" version (which is overkill). You will need to replace any toothed blade with an abrasive disk. I use the 4" for most tip / mid trimming. Butt sections (whacking off thick butts) out comes the hack saw with a fine toothed blade & masking tape

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 19, 2011 02:55PM

Heck if I had the room I would have one of those puppies

Bill - willierods.com

Date: August 19, 2011 03:32PM

Yes - I seem to do quite a bit of butt trimming to get some odd lengths that we get a lot of requests for. I'll check in to what they use for trimming arrows - sounds interresting.

Thanks,

Marc

Date: August 19, 2011 05:59PM

The blanks I usually trimmed were heavy stand up & IGFA to 80#. I did most of them with a small hacksaw by hand. Smaller blanks are a breeze.

Date: August 19, 2011 06:02PM

I bet that 6" cut-off saw would do the job...only $10 more than the 2" micro version. Great buy! Forget the hacksaw!!!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 19, 2011 09:37PM

Marc,
If you have one of the harbor freight small chop saws - i.e. the one with the 3 inch wheel, I have a different motor that I would sell you for $10 plus shipping.
I found a bunch of these motors at a surplus store. When I found that the chop saw was low on power, I changed to this other motorl.

The motor bolted right in. I did have to turn down the shaft on the motor for the pulley to fit. I thought it easier to turn down the shaft of the motor, rather than drilling out the pulley, in case the motor did not work out.
I just bolted the motor in place, and turned on the motor. Then, I used emery cloth to turn down the shaft, frequently checking to insure that the pulley would fit.
If interested, drop me a line at

hflier@comcast.net

-------------
From many of the big box stores, you can get an 8 inch chop saw for $50 or so., Then, pick up a 1/16th thich abrasive 8 inch wheel - bolt it in place and you will be good to go. If you go this way, it is also a good idea to raise the cutting surface and bring it forward so that the abrasive wheel can be ground down and still do a good job of cutting.
Here is an example of my first 8 inch chop saw that I modified which I sold some time ago to a fellow rod builder:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

By the way, I had found this saw in a pawn shop for $20.

Roger

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2011 09:41PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Don Morse (99.150.143.---)
Date: August 20, 2011 06:21AM

Marc, the only reason I see an issue with an arrow saw is the 4 foot bed with arrow stop at the end that you don't need for trimming butts. It will just take up excess room. Your best bet is a small chop saw with an abrasive disk.

Posted by: Fred Cory (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 20, 2011 02:35PM

I have the 6" Harbor Freight model - I think it was around $35.00 on sale. I put an abrasive disk on it and it works great for trimming even heavy all glass blanks.

With a little care you can also sand the end of the blank if you so desire...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster