I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread packing
Posted by: Farid Badri (---.alshamil.net.ae)
Date: August 19, 2011 09:13AM

Im really hoping someone can help me out.........Im trying to get a chevron wrap done, its an open wrap, but it has an underwrap. The problem that Im experiencing is, after I pack the threads together, as I go up the wrap the threads that had been packed open up........this situation is getting worse the more I pack..........im suspecting the thread is starting to slip from the loose side, and therefore the wrap threads opening up.........can anybody give me some ideas or tips as to what I can do to correct the situation, or should I just restart again, and this time wrao the threads a little tighter?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread packing
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 19, 2011 09:53AM

Check to see if you are putting enough on the tape ends before you start wrapping
Maybe it is slipping off the tape and you have to secure it on more

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Seth Holt (---.dsl.klmzmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 19, 2011 11:02AM

Put color preserver on the underwrap before you start the overwrap. You will not even need to secure the underwrap when doing the top wrap. This makes the whole thing easier.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: August 19, 2011 11:16AM

I'm not sure I totally understand your problem. I'll guess and just make a suggestion and hope it helps. First I like to go ahead and coat my underwrap but that is up to you.

On open wraps there isn't anything to hold the outsides of the wrap in place. Consider making a few passes with white NCP as a border to pack against. Then CP the wrap to lock everything in place. After it dries remove the white threads and finish as normal.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: August 19, 2011 11:22AM

As I read it again it does sound like the under wrap is getting loose when you pack the overwrap ?

Do what Seth suggested

Bill - willierods.com

Date: August 19, 2011 01:16PM

Sorry guys for not being very clear in my earlier post.

The underwrap is fine, its the over wrap thread that I have a problem with.......the first half of the chevron over wrap seems to be getting looser and looser, and so even after I pack the thread the threads are not getting snug and just opening up....the second half seems nice and tight and I dont have any problems with. I hope that is a bit more clearer.

Thanks for all the posts up to now.

Farid

Date: August 19, 2011 02:44PM

Did you coat the Under Wrap ??

Bill - willierods.com

Date: August 19, 2011 03:00PM

Bill,

No I haven't coated the underwrap, I was too worried that with all the packing , wrapping ,and other things I need to do.....the CP coat would be scuffed up.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: August 19, 2011 04:03PM

I coat with epoxy because it is easier for me to pack and I have less bubbles. Any scuffs are taken care of with epoxy over the completed wrap.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: August 19, 2011 04:20PM

Not coating the under wrap is Probably why you are having trouble

Your pushing thread over other thread and when you move the top thread --- you are moving the bottom thread - Common Sence

save your self some time and grief -- take the top thread off -- CP and even clear - Thin - the base.

Let dry several days even a week

Then with the correct tension wrap the top thread

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: mark crouse (---.unassigned.ntelos.net)
Date: August 19, 2011 08:29PM

I pack every 5th sequence, to assure I am not moving the threads to far, and the second reason for this is your packed thread has to be held in place (1-4) the 5 thread is the one wich keeps than in olace but it self will be a little loose again. Check if you chevron are lined up in a straight line, if it is bowing it want stay tight.
Best Regards Mark Crouse

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 21, 2011 02:14PM

Sorry I missed this. This happens to me al teh time, teh first threads you lay down in your Chevy are "bubbling up" as you pack teh pattern right? This happens to me because I move the threads a lot when I pack, and I think that hte tension from teh last wrapped threads pulls the first wrapped threads and causes them to lose tenion. It's only losing tension in certain spots right? TO fix this wha tI do is not pay any attention to it. I make sure the wrap is packed tight and straight, it's usually never noticeable when CP and epoxy is applied. If it is bubbling up that much on you, you can wrap a sacrificial thread over the pattern tha twill hold the threads in place, put CP let it dry and pull of the ssacrificial, then 1 more coat of CP befor ethe epoxy.

I thinkthis is what you're getting at?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster