I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

FLY ROD GUIDES
Posted by: Jess Brindisi (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 15, 2011 07:35PM

Am getting ready to build my first fly rod and have a few questions that need answers.

Rod blank is a 6wt, 8'6" 2 piece blank

I'm thinking of using size 12 stripping guide, 4,4,4,4,3,3,3,3, tip Does this sound about right? If not...any specific formula i need to adhere to when sizing fly guides?

Pros/cons of using single foot fly guides vs. the double foot snake style?

Will only certain reel seats accept a fighting butt?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FLY ROD GUIDES
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 15, 2011 07:42PM

Single foot equal one half the number of wraps, obviously less time wrapping and less weight. With the use of the Forhan locking wrap they are just as secure.

Your size selection is OK, but you can go 12, 4 and 3's all the rest of the way.

Some reel seats are made to accept the fighting butt, all can be adapted, but in many cases it requires "jury rigging."

Posted by: Quinn_Canfield (198.182.55.---)
Date: August 15, 2011 07:46PM

Guides seem about right to me. I've built several in both single and double foot. I tend to build the smaller (3, 4, 5wt) rods with singles and the bigger with doubles but I don't do it for performance. It's more about appearance. People will tell you that the single foot guides result in less weight on the rod and it is hard to argue that. However at the end of the day I don't think one casts better than the other. If it made that big a difference the high end rod manufactures would all be doing it and they are not (some do, most don't). A fighting butt can be used with any uplocking reel seat. Not sure about downlocking.. I put them on almost all of my rods even the 4 weights. It helps keep the reel out of the dirt and makes it easier to use a rod holder on a kick boat.

Have fun and don't be afraid to try new things. You can find some really cheap fly blanks out there. Use them to learn on. I still some of my early builds even though they are not much to look at. I lend them out to friends to learn on. Who cares if they get broken.

Quinn

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 15, 2011 08:07PM

If you're going to drop down to size 3's, why use all those 4's? They just add extra weight and upset the intended straight line path. Use the stripping guide, one #4 and then all the rest #3's. Your rod's performance will thank you for it.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.suddenlink.net)
Date: August 16, 2011 12:14PM

Just a thought.
If you mean Romoveable fighting butt, they are generally made for larger fly reel seats, like Batson RA8L2.
A fixed fighting butt can usually be slightly modified to fit up against most any fly reel seat.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 16, 2011 01:12PM

On a 6 wt ??? maybe just an end made out of cork 1 1/2 - 2"

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2011 01:14PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: August 16, 2011 07:17PM

Take a look at the Strubel fly reel seats. They have removable fighting butts for most of their reel seats as an addition. The last couple of fly rods I have built I have used both the Snake Brand snake guides, or the Hopkins & Holloway single foot guides. The Snake Brand guides take little or no guide foot prep. I actually prefer the H&H single foot guides.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.vinc.in.charter.com)
Date: August 16, 2011 07:44PM

Jesster,
You should be capable of using #2's on a 6 weight and saving some more weight.
9 guides
(4) #2's
(2) #3's
(1) #4
#10 Alox
#12 Alox

Just my opinion

Eugene Moore

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster