I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Permagloss or Flex Coat Rod Restorer
Posted by: Dave Lockman (65.173.2.---)
Date: January 29, 2003 05:05PM

If you were fixing an older graphite rod that has the old finish flaking off, which would you use to refinish it?

I have never done it before, but think I have a handle on the procedure. Just not sure which product to use.

Thanks,

Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Permagloss or Flex Coat Rod Restorer
Posted by: george n roach (---.pei.sympatico.ca)
Date: January 29, 2003 05:08PM

permagloss works very well try it i think you wil like it george

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 29, 2003 08:03PM

Once you get all the old, peeling finish off the blank, I would think Permagloss would be your better bet. It's lighter, thinner and harder but still flexible.

Posted by: Solana Rosa (---.salta.sinectis.com.ar)
Date: January 29, 2003 08:20PM

OH ... oh !!!
I have a rod to "repair" or do some cosmethics, also !!!
It is a two piece #9wt Flyrod, Blue finish blank, that suffored when angler fell and hit it against some rocks.
One big scar (about half inch) is near the ferrule, and I can see some light gray material which I beileve it is graphite already.
Could this "Permagloss" thin coat be better than Flex-Coat lite for this particular case?
Also, how to do it "instructions" are really welcome.

THANKS!

Posted by: Bill Boettcher (---.cvx.algx.net)
Date: January 29, 2003 08:21PM

I paint a lot of my blanks. I love Permagloss. Some people whip it on, some use a brush (not to soft). I put two coats, let dry overnight and sand with #400 or better wet. Then put a final coat. Depends how you like it. I just got some cheese cloth and got to try Tom's method again. On the wraps use epoxy

Date: January 30, 2003 08:09AM

How do you use it? Do you put some product in a jar or vase, or just use it with the brush direct from the bottle?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Posted by: Bill Boettcher (---.cvx.algx.net)
Date: January 30, 2003 10:08AM

I try never to stick any thing in the bottel itself. Don't want to contaminate it. Just poor what you think you need out into one of those plastic cups and use from there. You can always add more if needed. Keep it in the fridge stays well in there. I only use it for coating blanks

Posted by: Ralph O'Quinn (---.pstbbs.com)
Date: January 30, 2003 02:35PM

Here is a tip for all those who have found Permagloss to be the ideal finish for blanks. Don't brush it--WIPE IT. I like to use a Kim Wipe, but they are hard to come by so try a coffee filter. Fold into a comfortable pad, and saturate about a square inch or so with Permagloss, then simply wipe it onto the blank with one continuos motion. Brushing really makes to heavy a coat, while wiping gives you that ideal thin coat like a spray job. To heavy a coat may result in peeling after the blank is flexed a few gillion times, but you will never experience any peeling with a wipe job--assuming you did a proper preparation first.
Another advantage to wiping--there is no necessity for sanding between coats. You can apply multiple coats with just a few hours dry between coats. On almost all blanks I have found that one coat sometimes two will adequately do the job.
Ralph

Date: February 01, 2003 04:33PM

Thanks a lot for the useful tips!
Will use them this upcoming week.

Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: June 23, 2010 11:06PM

After you put the permagloss in the fridge, and when you want to use it again, do you need to warm it up, or use as is? And another? when you put pigment with teh permagloss, should I just make one batch like a 1oz bottle and keep in the fridge untill next coat? or should I mix just enough for one coat, then remix for the next batch?

Date: June 27, 2010 10:07PM

whats teh preparation for seting up a rod to coat with permagloss, I have a new rod blank and want to permagloss it with color.

Date: July 05, 2010 01:17PM

Ralph O'Quinn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here is a tip for all those who have found
> Permagloss to be the ideal finish for blanks.
> Don't brush it--WIPE IT. I like to use a Kim
> Wipe, but they are hard to come by so try a coffee
> filter. Fold into a comfortable pad, and saturate
> about a square inch or so with Permagloss, then
> simply wipe it onto the blank with one continuos
> motion. Brushing really makes to heavy a coat,
> while wiping gives you that ideal thin coat like a
> spray job. To heavy a coat may result in peeling
> after the blank is flexed a few gillion times, but
> you will never experience any peeling with a wipe
> job--assuming you did a proper preparation first.
> Another advantage to wiping--there is no necessity
> for sanding between coats. You can apply multiple
> coats with just a few hours dry between coats. On
> almost all blanks I have found that one coat
> sometimes two will adequately do the job.
> Ralph
Would you have to anything o the rod before applying the pg?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster