I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Weight?
Posted by: Steven Franatovich (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: August 15, 2011 10:50AM

I have two rods in front me. The first rod is a shelf rod it's a Cumara 6' 10" mh. The other rod is one I just built a few weeks ago it's a 7' mh with micros. I built this rod as light as possible and it is. When I weighed the two rods I was glad to see my rod weighs slightly less yet the Cumara feels alot lighter then mine. I'm thinking the Cumara is weighted in the butt cap but I`m not sure.

What's are your thoughts on this? Should I try adding weight? I realy don't want to make my rod heavier.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Weight?
Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 15, 2011 11:04AM

It could be where you have your reel seat, i know that on my rods, one reel seat is at like 11 inches on a 7'3", and the othe is at like 9 inches, and it made the rod feel heavier, then the one with the reel seat at 11". this is just my guess. I've only been building for like a year now, so I am sure that you will get some other builders to give their input on this subject, tight lines.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 15, 2011 11:06AM

How the rod balances determines how heavy or light it may "feel." But the scales don't lie. If your rod weighs less, then it's less.

I don't like adding unnecessary weight. Some will do it, however, to achieve the balance they want. This comes down to a matter of personal preference.

Posted by: Andres Perez (---.coastalsystemsint.com)
Date: August 15, 2011 11:10AM

Are you comparing apples to apples? Compare the two rods with the reels installed. A rod can feel heavier than it actually is if it is not balanced properly. The added stress on the wrist can seem like the rod is heavier because you constantly need to apply force to compensate. A balanced rod will seem lighter, even if it is actually slightly heavier, than an unbalanced rod.

Hope this helps,
Andres Perez
Miami, FL

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 15, 2011 11:18AM

What you are feeling is the difference between weight and swing weight. Weight is simple the static measurement of the overall weight of the rod, however, what you feel when you cast the rod is swing weight, which is a dynamic measurement of inertia. Swing weight is affected by where the actual weight is located on the rod (how it is balanced) and the balance point on the rod. In golfing, there is actually a method of measuring swing weight on any particular rod. I don't know if anything actually exists that measures it on fishing rods.

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: August 15, 2011 01:02PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't like adding unnecessary weight. Some will
> do it, however, to achieve the balance they want.
> This comes down to a matter of personal
> preference.
>
> ................

It also depends on how much weight you have to add to achieve balance. If you can do it with a small amount of weight, one would be a fool not to do it, as balanced rods are much less tiring to fish with. If you're talking about a 12-foot Harnell surf rod, where I think you'd have to put an anvil inside the butt cap to counteract the tip-heaviness and to achieve good balance, then the tradeoff between balance and overall weight is probably not worth making.

I virtually never add any weight to a finished rod, because A) doing so runs counter to my belief that less weight = better rods, and B) because the types of rods that I build (surf rods, mostly) are naturally tip-heavy, and require too much added weight to counteract this. But on any rod I build, if I could achieve perfect balance by adding an ounce or two somewhere, I'd do it, becasue the 1 or 2 oz. of overall added weight is a small price to pay for a rod that is perfectly balanced in the hand.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.vinc.in.charter.com)
Date: August 15, 2011 06:03PM

Steven,
Did you use a heavier tip top ?
Did you use more guides closer to the tip ?
Are you comparing wire guides to insert guides ?
Did the bare blank "feel" tip heavy ?
Does the new blank have a smaller butt dia or a larger tip dia ?
You are feeling the effect of dynamic inertia based on how the rod mass is distributed.
You can remove 10 grams of static weight to a reelseat but the addition of .1 gram to a tip top will be felt when the rod is moved.

Eugene Moore

Posted by: Steven Franatovich (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: August 15, 2011 09:01PM

I guess it's the blanks. My real seat is 1/2" furthrr up. The tip of my rod is 2.27 and the cumara is 2.02. The butt on mine is 14.50 the other 12.50. I have 10 american tackle micro's with matching top.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster