I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Old Fly Rod...Pat May 15, 1906
Posted by: steve earley (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: August 13, 2011 06:22PM

I just discovered an old fly rod that belonged to my Dad. I inherited the flyrod but don't know how to identify it. The reel lock has the stamp "Pat May 15 1906" and the butt cap has the stamp "Slote" and underneath that is "Klyn, NY". The rod is a two piece rod measuring 74 3/4" in overall length with two tips. Both tips have double eyelets and appear to be some type of a reverseable tip. I have several pictures but am not sure how to include them in this post.

Any help or information would be appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old Fly Rod...Pat May 15, 1906
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 13, 2011 07:24PM

It's the reel seat that was patented.

Go to the photo page and post your photos there. The instructions are above, and include complete rules and instructions for the forum as well.

Date: August 13, 2011 09:57PM

I know. I just posted all of the information on the rod. I uploaded some pictures. I hope they help.

Thanks

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 13, 2011 10:14PM

Many old bamboo/wood rods had the double guides as the blanks often took a "set" or bend with extended fishing. The double guides allowed the angler to rotate the tip section periodically to negate that effect. The "Tulip" tip allowed the line to flow from either position

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2011 10:43AM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.200-68.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: August 13, 2011 11:27PM

If nobody recognises it here, you might try this site under the Appraisal and Identification forum.

[clarksclassicflyrodforum.yuku.com]

Date: August 13, 2011 11:33PM

Thank you Bob. i'm new to this forum and am not yet familiar with which site would be the best one to use.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 14, 2011 08:51AM

As Tom posted - the date is the patent date for the reel seat. May 15, 1906 references U.S. patent no. 820,685 assigned to Charles H. Terry of Bristol, CT: "threaded wedges lock nut against sliding band" of the reel seat.

This reel seat was used on many, many old bamboo rods - one noted manufacturer was Montague - and not only on fly rods. Which brings up another question. Are you sure this is a fly rod and not a boat rod? Double eyes on a fly rod would be unusual.

Perhaps a photo of the wraps just above the handle would also help as many companies had "signature patterns" (colors, numbers, spacings) of thread wraps just above the handle and just short of the first guide.

Posted by: Peter Appel (---.blrgga.dsl.dynamic.tds.net)
Date: August 14, 2011 11:36AM

Steve,

Your rod is a "trade" trolling rod , not a fly rod, from the 1910-1925 time frame, more likely later (1915-1925) than earlier (1910-1920); the double guides were to correct tip sets from extended use, as Mike says. The handle looks more like Horrocks-Ibbotson than Montague. The grip wrapping is rattan cane. The stamping on the butt cap is probably the retailer's mark (Klyn, NY probably means Brooklyn, NY, but I don't have a clue as to "Slote"). From the level of fittings (I'm guessing they're nickel silver, rather than nickel plated brass) , it was a mid grade or better rod (pics of the ferrules would help).There's a guide missing on the lighter tip, but overall, looks like it's in fairly good shape. Not a lot of collector demand for these at the moment - it's probably about a $50 piece. Hope this helps.

Date: August 14, 2011 01:21PM

Thanks for the information. It doesn't make sense to me though because my Dad never fished from a boat. He was a fly fisherman and bait caster. He was handy with his hands and made some rods in the mid 1950s. Do you think it is possible that this is an old "kit" rod. I will post some pictures of the ferrules...maybe that will give you some additional information.

Thanks

Posted by: Dave Loren (---.prvdri.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 15, 2011 11:46AM

Steve,
You can contact Fred Kretchman in Maine. His e-mail is kretchmanflyrods@gmail.com He does all of Langs appraisal work for flyrods to be @#$%& off. He is also a very fine bamboo rod builder. I'm sure he can help you.

Dave Loren
East Bay Custom Flyrods
Warren,RI

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster